Recommended check valve for rainwater cistern?

Users who are viewing this thread

PortlandBill

Reaction score
The submersible pump in my rainwater cistern cycles every 12 minutes; 58-to-38 PSI 10 mins, 38-to-58 PSI 2 mins. It's either the check valve immediately above the submersible pump (95% likely) or the union above that (unlikely as there's no sign of water dripping or spurting out.) All other possible reasons for water leaking out have been eliminated.
First question: this is not normal, right? I'm assuming a good check valve will hold 58 PSI pressure much longer than 10 minutes.
Secondly, what kind of check valve should I use? I'm using a brass swing check valve. It was new and the flapper gate looked fine when installed. Would I be better using a spring-loaded valve? I'm more interested in a long long service life than a small drop in pump power.
Background info. The pump is a Grundfos 16S05-5 with FE Motor. Tank depth ~6 feet. I"m using a cycle stop valve.

PortlandBill

Reaction score
The existing check valve looks like this:

simmons-check-valve.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Wrong check valve for the application, you need a spring check. Flomatics are among the best

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I also like Simmons check valves.

Swing check valves should not even be made any longer. A normal spring check valve will hold 200 to 400 psi- and do it better at the higher values. If you want to go for the best, get a ball cone check valve. Apollo is one fine company. Might not payback on rainwater at 60 psi.

Since its rainwater, you likely have debri in the water. All check valves are finicky about that. A ball or a ball cone check valve should be the least likely to plug. Zoeller sewage check valves come to mind [large sizes - 1.5 to 2"] but are likely very low on PSI. Go to Graingers site for a look at hundreds of check valves, or MSC supply. Graingers has a close out section, and I have bought 600$, 3" ball check valves of GF brand for $30.

PortlandBill

Reaction score
Getting back to this, thanks everyone for your input. I went with a SIMMONS-618SS valve (pictured) and the pressure holds for DAYS. Amazing. I should have asked about this before installing the swing valve in the first place!
618ss__89355.1413963919.1280.1280.jpg

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Had a flowmatic go out on me after one month of service last week. Pulled it up and the guts had come apart. Check em to make sure the tightening screw is not loose. I noticed they changed their valves slightly (no longer had a date sticker on the unit). This one was new but made in '14.

Wrong check valve for the application, you need a spring check. Flomatics are among the best

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks