Recommended best settings for 6700xtr 48,000 grain water softener

Users who are viewing this thread

Lost Texan

Reaction score
Purchase a 48,000 grain water softener about a month ago with a Fleck 6700xtr controller. I've tried to read posts and visited web site trying to get the 'best' settings for lowest regen costs with no luck. Thus, I'm asking for help. Salt use is my main focus and water second. Also, with my current settings I have lost soft water with about 200-300 gals left in service (not in reserve yet). Here are my details to help you help me:

family of 4 which goes to 6 about once a month (I have 2 and sometimes 3 girls using on the high end of average)

water hardness of 22 grains per gallon (confirmed through several local water softener suppliers)

6700xtr settings
meter delayed fixed reserve
Capacity setting 48,000 grains
safety factor 20%
regen override 10 days

Current settings (all in minutes)
Regenerant Flow
(Down Flow Double Back Wash)
Back Flush 6
Brine and Slow Rinse 50
Back Wash 6
Rapid Rinse 6
Brine Tank Fill 12

Here is what was 'recommended' from the business I purchase from:

6700xtr settings
capacity setting 32,000 grains
safety factor 20%
regen override 14 days

Recommended settings (all in minutes)
Regenerant Flow
Back Flush 8
Brine and Slow Rinse 50
Back Wash 0
Rapid Rinse 8
Brine Tank Fill 14

Please let me know your thoughts and recommendations.

Lost Texan

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I think the XTR has variable reserve and if so I suggest you use it but...

When you get hard water before a regeneration, you need to change the salt dose to the max for the volume of resin (15lbs/cuft) and do 2 manual regenerations back to back with no water use during or between them to fully regenerate all the resin.

Do one in the early evening (no water sue until the next morning) and start the second as you go to bed. In the morning change the salt dose back to what it should be for the correct K of capacity to prevent hard water breakthrough in the future.

Another reason for hard water before a regeneration is exceeding the constant SFR gpm of the softener. A 1.5 cuft has a SFR of 12 gpm.

Lost Texan

Reaction score
Gary,

I can set the reserve to any value between 0% and 50%.

The 6700xtr diagnostic mode indicates the peak flow has been at 8 gpm since install. We make it a point not to use showers, tubs, and/or washers (dish or clothes) at the same time.

How do I change the max salt dose? The user manual ans service manual do not even use the tern 'salt dose' much less how to adjust.

Lost Texas

Last edited:

Lost Texan

Reaction score
I've confirmed I have a 0.25 gpm BLFC.

I've read a previous post of yours and calculated the same 23 lbs salt to brine 1.5 cu ft. resin.

Therefore, using 0.25 gpm, 23 lbs salt, and 3 lbs salt/gal- I get a 31 minute brine fill require.

What time do I enter on the 'brine and slow rinse' cycle? No where in the manuals does it indicate how that cycle is broken down between brine and slow rinse.

Lost Texan

Reaction score
I think I have the answer to my question as to the time for the 'brine and slow rinse' cycle.

The unit draws brine water and mixes it with a draw water stream for as long as there is water in the brine tank, then only the stream water goes through the resin. I'm guessing there is some type of valve in the brine tank to prevent air from being sucked in when the brine tank is empty.

So if I'm right, is a 50 minute 'brine and slow rinse' long enough to draw almost 8 gals?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Yes that is how slow rinse/brine draw works. Usually the brine should be out of the salt tank in the first 10-20 minutes, then the slow rinse flushes through the resin getting rid of the salt water.

I don't know if the 50 minutes is enough with a .25 gpm BLFC, so do some math to find out and increase the time if necessary. Then change it back afterwards.

Lost Texan

Reaction score
Regen twice late last night and early this morning.

50 minutes at 0.25 gpm results in 12.5 gals, needed 8 gals so not much for excess or rinse.

I can get a 0.5 gpm BLFC for less than $2, would you suggest making this change? It would cut water usage.

Moving forward, assuming I stay with the 0.25 gpm BLFC, here's what I see as my settings for regen:

6700xtr settings
capacity setting 32,000 grains (rated at '48,000 grain' with 1.5 cu ft of resin)
safety factor 20%
regen override 14 days

Settings (all in minutes)
Regenerant Flow
Back Flush 8
Brine and Slow Rinse 50 (cal 12.5 gals total)
Back Wash 0
Rapid Rinse 8
Brine Tank Fill 14 (cal 3.5 gals with 10.5 lbs salt resulting in 7 lbs salt per cu ft resin or about 3000 grains per pound of salt )

If I move to a 0.5 gpm BLFC, I would reduce 'brine and slow rinse' to 25 minutes and 'brine fill' to 7 minutes for the same gals and salt.

Please let me know if you agree or suggest something different.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks