Recommended basic tub/shower faucets?

Users who are viewing this thread

AP1

Reaction score
This forum steered me to an awesome new toilet (Toto Entrada). I'm wondering if the same thing can happen for a replacement tub/shower faucet.

I want to have an old Delta "ball" faucet replaced. It's the kind where you pull the "ball" up or down to change pressure while turning it to change temperature. It can be a real pain to use (to get just the right pressure and temperature you want). Our other shower has an old basic Moen faucet where you pull/push to change pressure and turn to change temperature. It's much easier to use.

I'm wondering what plumbers are using and recommending these days. Both our faucets are very old and I'm wondering what the best current faucets are.

Considerations:
  • Easy to use -- don't have to fiddle with controls; it just works
  • Separate pressure and temperature control -- not like some where you only get hotter water by turning the pressure up
  • Quiet -- doesn't "squeal" or make noises inside the faucet or valve depending on the water pressure
    • We tend to use lower water pressure (not full blast); our current faucets tend to make noise when the water is "restricted" like that
  • Dependable and long-lasting -- handle doesn't get stiff over time or need to be regularly lubricated or maintained
  • Nice basic control for one shower head
  • A good value -- I'm willing to spend a little more for good quality, but I don't need super high-end
I'll need a plumber to install the new faucet; it's not a project I think I can do myself.

Thanks in advance!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
HJ likes the Delta 1700 series. This (and maybe a couple other of their series) use the R10000 rough-in valve (sold separately in a plumbing supply, often packaged together with limited choices of trim in big box stores), then the cartridge and trim come in a second box. There are three choices of control, based on the trim/cartridge package you choose: single handle (not what you are asking for), two-handle: volume and temp; then a two handle: volume, thermostat setting. So, with this setup, you can later on decide to change things without tearing up the wall or changing the guts. I think Grohe may have a similar system. Delta will be easier to find parts for. I put one of the Delta volume/temperature valves in my mother's house, and she likes it. I have Grohe thermostatic valve in my home and it has been working well now for nearly 10-years.

As to the divertor spouts available, HJ turned me onto Delta's pull-down spout. I used one of those also at my mother's, and other than maybe having to tell guests how it works, it seems to be working well. Instead of a knob sticking up, you pull the bottom of the spout down to activate the divertor; not obvious to the casual observer, but it seems to work quite well. Available in various styles and finishes.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Nice to see someone else can write my reply so I don't have to. One thing NOT in that reply is that you install the valve "correctly" for a tub/shower, but turn it upside down for a shower only. The trim inserts the normal way and does not know the valve is inverted, but it can eliminate problems down the road.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Nice to see someone else can write my reply so I don't have to. .....

OMG too funny. Who is writing for you HJ? Tell me it's Jim. I bet he has been waiting to do this for years. Bet he has every word you ever written copied, pasted and secretly chats on other plumbing forums to test his new ideas out.

For those of you that don't know this Terry Love has a "Block Feature" I can not see Jim's posts but do see Post #1 from the original poster and Post #3 from HJ. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure out that someone "Blocked" made the second post.

The Evolution of Jim The Master Plumber has happened.

We should all quite posting and let Jim answer everything. Then world order and world peace can happen.... :)

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
I'm on another forum, and go by the name Juan Ghipple. My motto, "When it's good enough, it's perfect". I promote cheap thinset, and 1 coat liquid membranes. I'm helping lots of people.

Here's my blog page..

e5f9eb35cfa204ff73edae5c07d2daa2.jpg

Hope Santa doesn't leave a lump of grout in your stockings. Merry Christmas, a holes! I love you guys. LOL

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
After having been here for many years, and listening to people I trust, one gets a good idea of what works and can provide a reliable answer. Notice, that nothing in what was posted was incorrect, and it was attributed to the author. John hates it when I correct him or disagree. You decide...the advice is free and I'm not trying to get your business or consult fees!

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
I'm on another forum, and go by the name Juan Ghipple. My motto, "When it's good enough, it's perfect". I promote cheap thinset, and 1 coat liquid membranes. I'm helping lots of people.

Here's my blog page..

View attachment 27585

Hope Santa doesn't leave a lump of grout in your stockings. Merry Christmas, a holes! I love you guys. LOL

OH man thats great!!!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Hope Santa doesn't leave a lump of grout in your stockings.

Not to worry, it was probably mixed with twice the recommended amount of water so it will not be too hard. Any other 'tips' to cheapen the job?

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Not to worry, it was probably mixed with twice the recommended amount of water so it will not be too hard.

I ended up with new flannel shirts, and some Dickies from Santa. Not bad. ;)

Any other 'tips' to cheapen the job?

Aside from just me being a cheap bastard to begin with, I don't have any more tips. I'm open to any suggestions, cause I'm almost broke again. LMAO

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
bmdc_16.jpg

Installed Delta Rough valve.

bmdc_14.jpg

Delta valve trimed out.

bmdc_13.jpg

So amazing sometimes to go back after tile to set the trim.
The flex hose was just installed, and no hot water yet to help it uncoil.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I like setting the supply for those hoses 8"-10" to the right or left. I find this is the best spot for a natural arc of the hose.

Sometimes we hang the hose for a few weeks in a closet prior to installing them.

Reach4

Reaction score
... a place to unwind. ;)

Last edited:

AP1

Reaction score
I think this thread veered off topic.

My original post was to get recommendations for good tub/shower faucets. I was expecting replies with brands and models. The first reply did that, but none of the others. Can we try again?

Please read my original post and reply with your recommendations. Feel free to refer me to other resources, if that works better for you.

Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
I think this thread veered off topic.

My original post was to get recommendations for good tub/shower faucets. I was expecting replies with brands and models. The first reply did that, but none of the others. Can we try again?
You may have missed it, but by my count there were 2.5 suggestions of Delta before your latest post.

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
thanks much for the clarification HJ
all those years of huffing pipe glue/dope,
you are still smart as a whip.

xoxo redshoe

Jadnashua

Reaction score
You can see how much BS occurs because a few people don't like advice given by some people. I've installed and used both of the products I discussed. They have worked fine. They were recommended by people I trust here.

If you search around here, you'll find that a lot of people end up with troubles replacing Moen cartridges when it comes time. NOw, if you're a professional plumber with lots of experience, or your water is soft, or the planets line up right, it can be easy. Phister, you don't hear much about. Kohler likes to reinvent the wheel too often, so finding parts can be a real challenge - if they still make them. Because of the potential for lead, fewer and fewer valves are all metal these days. Lead-free brass is expensive and can be brittle depending on exactly how it is made - the best stuff used to be made of a mostly solid brass body, with various platings to suit the desires of the customer. Even with those, though, if it doesn't have a thermal break in there, the handles can get too hot to touch - engineering matters! There are some other German and a few other brands out there that are decent, but tend to be expensive and finding replacement parts can be spotty locally. If you can afford to wait, almost anything would work - the internet is a big marketplace. Delta's R10000 rough-in is one of the most flexible systems out there, and there are a lot of trim choices with various operational options that will fit into that rough-in. In the end, it comes down to satisfying two aspects...does it do what you want, and do you like the way it looks. Another important consideration, but often overlooked, is how well does it work, and can I find replacement parts easily and cheaply (well, reasonable - cheap is maybe not the right word). You can spend anywhere from $40 on sale to several thousand dollars for similar things....more money doesn't necessarily mean it will work better - it will probably look better, though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks