Recommendations on durable non tile tub surrounds

Users who are viewing this thread

lma

Reaction score
hi. we're looking to redo out tub with a soaking tub and tub surround (essentially replacing what's there)
I've read acrylic is actually better than fiberglass, but what i've seen (big box stores) seems really flimsy.
If anyone could give me some guidance of what properties/specs I should look at when purchasing, i'd appreciate it.
thank you

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
We install a lot of Sterling tub/surround combinations. They come as remodel kits with the tub and usually 2 or 3 wall pieces. They even make shower doors.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
new house all they offered was cultured marble for the shower stalls - didn't think I would like it much, but it has grown on me - solid sheets, no grout lines except in the corners. It's about 1/4" thick vs. the countertops.

Something like these: http://lippertculturedmarble.com/showers.aspx
We work a lot with a couple companies that install custom made shower pans and culture marble surrounds. While I don't get to use the end product, they do look nice.

EricE

Reaction score
We work a lot with a couple companies that install custom made shower pans and culture marble surrounds. While I don't get to use the end product, they do look nice.
They do - I picked a style that had a subtle sand like pattern to it - way better than the solid colors IMNSHO. I also like it a lot better than the fake marble veining which I think would be utterly overpowering on the vast expanse of a shower/tub surround. That's the real challenge - these products look a lot different in larger sizes than they do in the samples - luckily the builder had a few models and the used different colors in the models so it was a lot less of a risky proposition in picking out something I would like.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks