Recommendations for Short Depth Space?

Users who are viewing this thread

Whoosh

Reaction score
We have an older house (1942) with one small bathroom. It has an old, cheap toilet (probably from Home Depot) that we want to replace and we'd love to hit all three of these goals:

1. Very low water usage. Better than 1.6 gpf we hope.
2. High seat height of at least 16"
3. Short depth. Our existing toilet is only 26" deep (front edge of bowl to finished wall)

It's the last one that seems to be a deal-killer. Our toilet is located "behind the door" so to speak. In other words, you have to walk in and close the door if you want to get to the toilet. So installing what seems to be more of today's standard is a problem -- many toilets with elongated bowls would put the toilet out another 4 or 5 inches. That would mean the door couldn't even open 90 degrees, which would probably make it difficult to impossible for my mother-in-law to siddle in with her walker because of where the sink/vanity is located. But even many of the round bowls seem to be 28" or more.

Can anyone suggest any specific toilets that are close to as short as our current one but that could also hit the other two requirements? We're in the SF Bay Area where the need to conserve water is increasingly urgent, are aging with bad knees, and have aging parents who are struggling even more.

(12" Rough In)

Thank you for any suggestions!

Whoosh

Reaction score
Thank you!

Thank you for the suggestions, Redwood!

I looked at Toto's site and they do now offer the Eco Promenade and it's only 26-1/8" in depth, which is fantastic. It does say that it is ADA compliant even with that round bowl. Doesn't matter really to us. We're ok with it not being truly compliant, we're really trying to get the height. The toilet is in a too narrow space to be truly compliant.

cst424ef_main.jpg

Oddly it's not on my water company's list of High Efficiency toilets eligible for a nifty $150 rebate, but perhaps it is too new for them. I'll be checking with them on that.

cst244ef_zoom.jpg

TOTO Entrada CST243EF
http://terrylove.biz/toilets/98-toto-cst243ef-entrada-toilet.html

This forum is a wonderful resource.

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I guess you'll have to show the old dog (the water company) a new trick... And get them to update their list. I'm sure they are lagging behind in keeping the list updated. You shouldn't have a problem. If you do post back for a link to the MaP Report. As long as it is listed on that as an HET they should not give you any problem. That is the list that most of these rebates are tied to. However, with the ECO-Promenade being as new as it is you may be waiting on the next edition of the MaP report.

Shellbank

Reaction score
It is listed in EPA WaterSense List...

That toilet is listed as HET CST424EF, so it is on the list that localities are working from when they try to figure out what is an approved WaterSense fixture. You can find this at www.epa.pv

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
bowl

Remember, however, that the depth of the bowl is somewhat misleading, because the actual projection will depend on how close the pipe in the floor is to the 12" from the wall standard. Less than 12" and the bowl will project less than 26 1/8", further from the wall and it will stick out that much more.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks