Recommendations for new water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Alan Strassberg

Reaction score
Looking for recommendations which manufacturer to buy (or avoid). Replacing my 15-year-old 40-gal natural gas before it goes south (without me :).

Thanks in advance.

Kayleigh Bohannan

Reaction score
I recommend you install the Heatworks MODEL 1, this new tankless water heater that accepts pre heated water. This way you can use it in conjunction with your tank either as a "booster" (meaning as you shower, if your tank starts to run out of hot water the MODEL 1 kicks on to maintain the temperature till you are done) as a backup for your tank, so WHEN it goes, you aren't out of luck, or in a solo application as your sole source of hot water. Full disclosure, I work for Heatworks, but I am posting here to help with any issues anyone on the forum might be having with their current system or give advice. Here to help! The MODEL 1 digital tankless water heater doesn't use a heating element. Instead we use graphite electrodes. Short story, that means that there is no scaling, no super heated part that will fail or cost you $ in maintenance, and you get truly instant, safe and infinite hot water. Feel free to ask me any questions. I hope this helps!

Reach4

Reaction score
I would not replace a 14 year old NG water heater that works fine. The old unit might be good for another 15 years, and a new one might be good for 12 years.

I am not a plumber or in any related business.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I see plenty of gas water heaters failing at 7 years and more. It depends on whether you like scheduling repairs while you are home, or finding out returning from a vacation or weekend that it failed.
Most condo associations require electric water heater replacements at ten years for that reason.
Gas tanks have a shorter lifespan than electric.

Kayleigh Bohannan

Reaction score
I see plenty of gas water heaters failing at 7 years and more. It depends on whether you like scheduling repairs while you are home, or finding out returning from a vacation or weekend that it failed.
Most condo associations require electric water heater replacements at ten years for that reason.
Gas tanks have a shorter lifespan than electric.

And with the Heatworks MODEL 1 tankless water heater, it does not use any heating elements. The MODEL 1 uses graphite electrodes instead, therefore there is no super heated parts waiting to fail, no scaling and NO maintenance, so you won't be waiting around for your plumber or electrician to come by and repair. Also, with our app coming out soon, you will be able to monitor your water heater remotely so you will constantly be informed of the state of your water heater.

Reach4

Reaction score
Kayleigh, I think this would be a really good place to not try to use a Heatworks MODEL 1 tankless water heater. That is electric. He has NG. His electricity is at market rates rather than sold at a discount by the government. He is looking for a whole-house thing. Heatworks MODEL 1 tankless water heater is not that.

Terry, I'll bet that you replace many 30-year and older NG water heaters too.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
"Terry, I'll bet that you replace many 30-year and older NG water heaters too."

Most are right around 15 years.
If the water heater is in the garage, you may have some time before it damages stuff.
I went to one home though, where the kitchen floors had all warped. The entire floor had to be replaced. The water heater was leaking in the garage, but sitting on plywood, the water had seeped towards the kitchen. It was a mess. The homeowner had no idea the water heater was the problem.

It depends if you like to gamble. Some do.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks