Recommendations for new toilets in Rental Property?

Users who are viewing this thread

LinInCa

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and would appreciate yr help. I've read thru some of the threads and learned A LOT (!) but would appreciate some personal input.

I've recently purchased a rental property and will be replacing two toilets. This property is on a small septic system so water efficiency is extremely important. Space is tight, as well, so I'm probably looking at round vs elongated toilets. Any suggestions on what'll keep me (maintenance and budget), my septic and my tenants happy? My plumber is pushing Kohler pressure-assisted products for a hassle-free flush.

PS - the well water used is hard and contains minerals. I'm replacing floor surfaces and both water input & waste lines so the rough-in sizes are not an issue.

thank you!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Toto Drake with CEFIONTECT, CST744SG or the CST744EG

These flush well, and resist the staining from hard water.
Parts are inexpensive and can be gotten at Lowes
They carry the TOTO flapper under the Korky brand.

These are elongated bowls

Last edited:

LinInCa

Reaction score
Round vs Elongated?

Hi and thanks for the reply! Looks like these are elongated?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Toto toilets are a bit more expensive than many other toilets will well known brand names, however the less expensive ones will pay you back with clogs and poor flushing. Toto toilets are as close to "unclogable" as you will find. Both of the toilets Terry recommended are elongated, and elongated are the only toilets you should consider unless there is a serious space consideration. A toilet should be considered a long term investment, so a little more at the onset will pay big dividends over the years. The Drake model is a real workhorse and gives a great bang for the buck.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Note that some elongated toilets aren't all that much longer than some of the older round ones...you need to measure. Plus, if the old rough-in was a little generous, and you are redoing the pipes...if you get it right on 12", it may sit at about the same point into the room.

LinInCa

Reaction score
Another Option?

Thanks so much for all your input.

another option -- I've found a great deal on the Ultramax (1 pce) toilets. MS853113S (round bowl, I know. but space really is an issue)

Since I just learned from my plumber that i need THREE new units, savings makes a difference. These will cost me significantly less than a Drake. What do you think? Is a 1-piece ok in a rental? Or is the Drake worth paying more?

Yr comments are MUCH appreciated!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I sell the one-piece for more.
If you can buy them for less then the Drake, you are getting a bargain.

The one-piece has less problems down the road, and it's easier to clean them.
Always a good choice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks