Recommendations for new toilet: Toto Drake or a dual flush?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kim Ladin

Reaction score
Hi all,

We need to replace an old toilet in our house. We've installed Toto Drakes before and have been very happy with them. But I'm thinking we could save even more water if we installed a dual flush unit.

Can anyone recommend a very reliable dual flush toilet that is as "bullet proof" with solid waste our Drakes were? It also needs to handle skid marks well, and not be unusually loud.

Thanks so much!
Kim

cst744-red-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Toto Aquia floor-mount, either one-piece or two-piece, depending upon which appearance you like better. Terry sells a lot of them and has a very high customer satisfaction rate with them.

That's the short answer. If you have additional questions, we're here.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A dual-flush model has its issues that may or may not be a consideration. To ensure that the bowl's contents is still fully evacuated when using the smaller quantity, that means that the bowl content is smaller than a conventional toilet, where it might use a half-gallon or more water than the low setting. That means more of the bowl is uncovered, or the depth of the water is lower - to constrain the bowl's volume. Skid marks are very much a function of diet and the personal health of the users involved. Someone on a high fiber diet may never have that problem.

Kim Ladin

Reaction score
Hmm, water coverage might be an issue. My boys are definitely not on a high fiber diet! ;-)

I just looked online at the American Standard H2Options, which looks like it might have more water coverage in the bowl to begin with than the Toto. Thoughts?

SamC

Reaction score
One thing to consider when going to a dual-flush is replacement parts. While you almost certainly can find a replacement flush valve for a 1.6 gal or a 1.28 gal at your local big box store, you're not likely to find replacement parts for the dual flush mechanism.

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
Since you were happy with your Toto Drakes, you'd be wise to stick with them, but upgrade to the Drake II. It's available in a 1.0 GPF model, but I personally would get the 1.28 GPF. It has the Double Cyclone (now known as Tornado) flush for more effective bowl rinse. The people I know who have gone to dual flush have not realized any noticeable water savings over their 1.28 and 1.6 GPF. Toto's model numbers are CST454CUFG for the 1.0 GPF and CST454CEFG for the 1.28. Good luck!

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I love how the Toto product pages, for example for the Drake II, now list CEFIONTECT and Double Cyclone in the features, but then show CeF-tHiS and Tornado Flush on another part of the page. Confusion anyone? Unnecessary anyone?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
CeFiONtect™ Glaze prevents debris from sticking to ceramic surfaces, making them easier to clean - See more at: http://totousa.com/ultramax®-ii-one-piece-toilet-elongated-bowl-128-gpf#sthash.GK8ti7hX.dpuf

Makes perfect sense?

Toto TIP:
This product is available with the CEFIONTECT glaze on the following colors. Or you can also choose from one of our standard Color/finish options below.

TOTO’s extraordinarily smooth CeFiONtect glaze prevents particulates from adhering to porous, ceramic surfaces. The ion-barrier in CeFiONtect keeps everything cleaner, longer. Less cleaning means fewer chemicals in the environment and less water used for cleaning. -

toto-bowl-cleaning.jpg

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I just looked online at the American Standard H2Options, which looks like it might have more water coverage in the bowl to begin with than the Toto. Thoughts?

Stick with the Aquia if you're going dual-flush. I mean, seriously, the product has been around for a long time now, and people who are now water-conscious are finding it and loving it. And folks like Terry now have a very substantial installed base of product to which they would be called out to fix if there were issues. Instead, folks who have them just seem to call him to order more.

I think that AS has been adding gitchy technology since its purchase by LIXIL, the parent of INAX. They now have a toilet with two points of failure...oops, I mean two flappers, for no really serious reason that I can discern, other than marketing. They are now actively-marketing their dual-flush. Given their repeated engineering failures on first-generation products over the last decade or so, I'm just sayin' that there is likely to be a penalty somewhere for that perceived bigger water spot. If you want to be a pioneer, have at it. I tend to take the approach that once I am sold, and I have experience to back it up, I stay sold. Toto is the hands-down leader in plumbing fixtures worldwide, because the stuff works. But that's just my opinion.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks