Recommendations for booster pump with Pside Kick

Users who are viewing this thread

schach23

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Newbie to the forums and plumbing in general. Bought a house 2 years ago and have generally low city water pressure. Check the pressure static to be around 42 psi with a pressure gauge attached to an outdoor spigot. Problem is in the summer when I want to run the irrigation system, there just isn't enough pressure to pop the heads up all the way and give me a good stream of water. Also the pressure with running fixtures in the house when the irrigation system is running is very low. Not sure what the pressure readings are when the irrigation system is running but I bet it's in the low 30's. I called a sprinkler guy out last year who told me everyone in my development has booster pumps installed because of the low city water pressure. House built in 2002. Called the city water company who then told me because I am so close to the above ground water towers my pressure is lower than the housed the furthest away. They basically said there isn't much that can be done on their end.

So I would like to add a booster pump to my house. Another resident down the street has a F&W 1/2 hp pump and the wx202 tank and he likes the setup, but he is further away from the water tower.

I was thinking of adding the pside kick for all the good reasons I have read. I am having a difficult time selecting an appropriate pump to pair with it. Specifically brand and model line and whether a 1/2 hp or 3/4 hp is what I need. I was leaning toward a 3/4 hp. Thanks for all of your help guys.

Scott

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The CSV in the Pside-kick kit will let you install as large a pump as you think you may need, and still be able to use it down to as little as 1 GPM. But the CSV or Pside-kick cannot make extra water, so if you start with too small a pump, you get too little water. If there is not much difference in price you can step up to a 1 HP pump and never have to worry that you will have enough water.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Assuming of course that there is adequate supply. If the line from the street is a choke point, there will be limits.

It is better that the city supply be the limiting factor than the pump. The CSV will match the amount being used, no matter the size of the pump. So if you have a 20 GPM pump and the city can only supply 15 GPM, just don’t use more than 15 GPM, and the CSV will make it into a 15 GPM pump. That is much better than having a 10 GPM pump, needing 15 GPM, and having low pressure because the pump is too small.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Agreed. I'm a never say never guy.

Boosting pressure has limits. There is pressure and there is volume. Folk often don't understand that limiting volume limits pressure. Boosting will raise the limits, not eliminate them.

schach23

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

So I was looking at goulds and sta-rite pumps. If I went with a 1 hp which models would you suggest?

Let me see if I understand how this is going to work. If my city supply is good and it's about 42 psi a goulds 1 hp pump will turn on when the pressure switch (30/50 built in the pumps) senses 30 psi and the CSV will maintain a set pressure (that I set) and turn off at 50 psi? Can I use a 40/60 pressure switch? The pumps I am finding have 30/50 pressure switch's pre installed. Can those be set to 40/60? Thanks

Scott

schach23

Reaction score
I would set it to 50/70 and the CSV to 60.

Here is an example of a pump I am looking at. [h=1]Red Lion RJS-100 Shallow Well Jet Pump[/h]It comes with a preset 30/50 pressure switch. Does that mean it can be changed to 50/70? Or do i need to buy a new pressure switch?

Thanks

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:

schach23

Reaction score
I think I figured out my answer. I thought the pressure switch comes pre set and unchangeable at 30/50. It's obviously not. lol. I can adjust the cut on and cut off as needed. Please correct me if this is wrong.

Any thoughts on the red lion pump?
Scott

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Actually you don’t want to use the pressure switch that comes mounted to the side of the motor. You want to use the pressure switch that comes with the Pside-Kick kit. It comes preset at 40/60, but with three full turns to the right on the large adjustment screw becomes a 50/70 switch. The CSV1A in the Pside-Kick is preset at 50 PSI, but a ½ turn to the right on the adjustment screw will bring the setting up from 50 to 60 PSI.

Check the max pressure for the pump. If it will do 75 PSI or higher it will work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks