Recommendations for a new Toilet: I am a NOOB so please adivse me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Deathlok

Reaction score
Ok, I am replacing my upstairs toilet. I was at home depot here in Canada. Where else should I go to look at toilets? Plumbing stores?

Which ones would you recommend? I read the thread on american standard champ model. I will stay far , far away from that one! :D

I would like to get a TOTO, but I am not sure who would sell them in Edmonton! I know home depot does not.

How about the Kohler Cimarron™ Comfort Height Elongated Toilet? It has very good reviews on the home depot site. But are those "real" reviews or is home depot temperating with them & putting up false review?

Or the Kohler Wellworth?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bassman

DIY Member
Reaction score
Go to Terry Love's website and read everything about toilets. Based on what I learned there I bought the Toto Ultramax and never before have I been tempted to wax poetic about a toilet. It's on the expensive side, but worth every penny IMO. Go to a real plumbing supply house and have them order you one.

Report on low flow toilets

SamC

Reaction score
There is a dealer locator at the Totousa web site that includes Canadian postal codes. I randomly picked one of the codes for Edmonton and the locator found three dealers.

Deathlok

Reaction score
I entered in my postal code & found 2 places. Thanks. I am going to go check em out tomorrow.

:)

SO, is TOTO really that good ? Everyone here seems to feel it is worth the extra $$$$

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Deathlok said:
I entered in my postal code & found 2 places. Thanks. I am going to go check em out tomorrow.

:)

SO, is TOTO really that good ? Everyone here seems to feel it is worth the extra $$$$

Yea take it from an non-pro......Toto is that good.
Both of our high end plumbing showrooms use them in their store restrooms out here.
Be sure to look at the award winning dual flush Toto *Aquia* and see if it fits in with your lifestyle.
good luck...
http://www.designjournalmag.com/product/Aquia_Dual_Flush_Toilet.htm

Mike

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
I'm not a plumber and I haven't lived with that many other toilets but I have lived with a Toto Carlyle for the the last several years and if what I have read about other low-flow toilets is true then I would say that yes, the Toto is worth the extra cost.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The toilets sold by the Bib Box stores, which includes Home Depot, are cheap models, often called, "Builder Models". The typically do not perform well. If there is one thing you don't want in your home is a poor performing toilet. Big Box stores don't sell Toto because they are a more expensive product, but with that extra cost, you get a much higher quality toilet that will give you trouble free performance. By the way, the same hold true with fixtures such as faucets and valves. For quality, you just have to go to a professional plumbing supplier.

Deathlok

Reaction score
Ok, so I took your advise. I went to a TOTO dealer in my city. They had TOTO, Caroma & even 1 or 2 american standard ( the cadet) models which I was shocked to see. After talking with the friendly people there & looking over all the selctions, I decided on the TOTO Drake with sanacoating & that comfort seat (the seat that does not slam down). It all came out to $500. They have to order in the tank, so it will take 4-8 weeks, but I am in no hurry. I have a toilet I can use downstairs.

I cant wait!

I never thought toilets could be so exciting!

:D

Achutch

Reaction score
A Wise Choice!

You made an excellent and wise choice. I've had my Drake ADA model for almost two years and still can't believe how well it does its job with so little water. I am very difficult to please when it comes to a proper toilet. It's either Toto or my old fashioned antiques like the one in the picture inside my mountain cabin. There is nothing in between; it's one extreme or another!

I paid a bit more for my Drake than you did, but it is worth every penny. I have not been able to clog it, the tank and bowl are flawless, it's comfortable, and I won't have to worry about it overflowing (it's on the second floor over the dining area). It has also dramatically reduced my water and sewer bills.

YES, you have every reason to be excited over a toilet. Let us know when you get it installed and what you think of it!

achutch

Deathlok

Reaction score
Ian Gills said:
It is an excellent toilet, especially for the price. Lots of plumbers here are sceptical (but they have no evidence, that's why they are hesitant). I have one and have had it for a year now. It is brilliant.

I assume your Drake cost a little over $200. My cadet 3 was well below. You have a seat that does not slam down and I have $300 in my pocket.

But cost for me was not the deciding factor. I have a very small bathroom and this was the most compact toilet I could find at the time. It was a lucky choice.

I paid over $500 for my Drake. But that is the upstairs bathroom that I use the most. I might replace the toilet on the main floor. The main floor toilet is used mostly by my friends that come over.

Anyone else want to weight in on the Cadet?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We install them both,
My son doesn't really like to install the Cadet, it's a step down in quality that is noticed. The Toto is still the top gun that the others are trying to be.

I will be seeing Gary Swart tomorrow and selling him a TOTO Drake ADA in Bone for his home in Yakima.
yakimamain.jpg

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I hardly sell any Bone, but I do carry it.
I always have some on hand.
There were a lot of homes built in the 80's that came with Almond and Bone fixtures, and the Toto Bone does a good job with it.

I'm selling a bit more sedona beige, or biscuit when I go off white.
I get a few designers that like the Bone better.

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
My son doesn't really like to install the Cadet, it's a step down in quality that is noticed. The Toto is still the top gun that the others are trying to be.

I would be very interested if you could list the different quality factors in a Cadet 3 versus a Toto. There is a big price difference that must be justified.

I doubt there are any. Sure the Toto may be easier to install, but hey so what? That is what we pay plumbers for and I did not find the installation tricky at all.

And while there may have been some quality control problems with Cadet 3s either being damaged on arrival or with some porcelein missing, you can always take them back to Home Depot or whatever and get them replaced so that is hardly the end of the world.

So what are the differences? Fill valves? Thickness of porcelein? Flush handle?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Well if quality of product and time to replace and bring parts back to the store, find a salesman and reinstall doesn't matter, then by all means, don't worry about it.

When I pay someone to be productive, and the homeowner takes time off from work and is missing a paycheck, then it does matter.

If you are unemployed staying at home, and love going back and forth to the hardware store, then anything will do.

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
I'm retired and really don't have a lot to do other than post on Internet DIY boards and my general maintenance.

However I will say that for me, setting and removing toilets and schlupping them back and forth to the "big box" (which is only a few miles away) is NOT my idea of having fun.

I installed my Toto Carlyle ONCE! That was about seven years ago and I haven't had any reason to remove it since.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com

The MaP testing only tests for one thing, and it's not quality.

In their first test, done years ago, they used miso paste.
Now they wrap the paste in plastic liners, making all of their tests more efficient and thereby giving bigger numbers in their test results.
That's why some brands and models may seem to work so much better now.
Some were tested with the old method,
Newer ones are tested with the new, bigger number testing.

Some toilets were never "retested" with the new method.
None of the Toto toilets tested were retested using the new "improved" test method. I imagine that if they were to retest with the more slippery bulk waste, that the numbers would go up for them too.

That is the only thing they do test.
Does it plug?

What is also important is:
Quality of product
Bowl cleaning
Percentage of defects (more trips to supplier for returns and more labor for plumbers)
Ease of repairs
Cost of repairs
Appearance

When I was growing up, the family had a Chevy Nova with a big V-8 engine, with horrible brakes and no wet pavement traction.
On dry pavement, it would blast off the line.
The back seat was too small,
The seats were uncomfortable
Cornering was bad.
It was noisy

What I drive now is an SUV that out corners the old Nova
All wheel drive, great for the wet and snow, I do a lot of skiing
ABS brakes, good for ice
Twice the gas mileage of the old car
Better seating and comfort
Almost perfect as far as maintenance.

If your're just looking at power of the engine, that's not much to consider. There are way many other considerations.
When I started this years ago, I sold the "big power" pressure assist toilets that blasted away the waste. I didn't get many repeat sales out of them, and not just a few complaints. Comments like
My grandkids are afraid of it,
When I flush, I get sprayed with toilet water
It startles me everytime I push the lever down
Some left shreds of paper in the bowl after the flush

So if you're wondering why I don't just use their report, consider that for me and most plumbers, and homeowners, time is money.
Nobody wants to do the job more than once.
I don't have endless payroll to keep sending plumbers out until they get enough pieces that will work together.

Last edited:

MSanders

Reaction score
AS Cadet 3

I purchased an AS Cadet 3 round front with 12" rough-in from Lowes about a year ago to replace a poorly performing AS Regular Cadet. Surprisingly, coming from a big box store like Lowes, the toilet had no defects and to this day has shown no signs of cracking or leaking.

Performance-wise, it is wonderful...it hasn't clogged since I installed it a year ago, and the rinse action is above average though a couple of areas at the front right hand side of the bowl are left unwashed. It flushes quickly and gets it all down the first time. I posted a link below to show you the toilet in action.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hzCGZh7AK2U

Cadet 3 Pepper Test Video

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks