Recommendations for 10" rough-in, narrow tank

Users who are viewing this thread

NickR

Reaction score
Hello and thanks to everyone for the many helpful posts on this forum; I've already learned a lot from reading.

I am replacing a toilet in a very old house (1895)--in fact, one of the first houses in my town to have indoor plumbing--and therefore have some strange space limitations.

In short, I have a 10" rough-in, and I need a tank less than 16" wide (bowl could be wider, if necessary). I'm considering the Toto Aquia, model CST412MF.10, thanks to the positive reviews here.

Are there other choices I should also consider?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Depends what you want to spend.

There is an original Toto Drake with a 10" rough in in ADA height: There's a 1.6gpf version, CST744SF.10. There is a 1.28gpf version CST744EF.10. And there is a version with an optional new tank design (that looks a little more traditional): CST744EFN.10. These you can find in the low-to-mid $200s if you call around to plumbing supply places.

Then there are all the Totos that use the "Unifit" adapter. You buy an adapter for about $60 that lets the toilet fit on a 10" rough in. I have one of these toilets, which is called the Carlyle II, MS614114CEFG. It is basically a Toto Ultramax II (an excellent one-piece toilet) with a skirt, which uses the adapter. Mid-$500s, but it comes with a seat. There is also the Toto Vespin II, a two-piece toilet which is like a Drake II with a skirt that fits over the adapter. CST474CEFG. In the $400s. And there are other pricier ones that also use the Unifit adapter.

All the above, and the Aquia, work supremely-well. Just pick the one that you like the looks of best and which is in your price range. Let us know if you want to hear about more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just a boost on wjcandee's post. The Unifit adapter is a Toto exclusive device and will only work on select Toto models. All of these models are excellent performers and would do you nicely.

NickR

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions wjcandee, but all of those have tanks wider than 16". The Drakes are between 18 5/8" and 19 1/2" wide and the Carlyle and Vespin are both 16 1/2". Or am I missing something on the spec sheets?

I'm prepared to spend into the $400s since I imagine my choices are pretty limited with my width constraints. I'm not overly swayed by looks though, so am certainly happy to spend less on an "ugly" good performer. Reliability and performance are more important than its "look."

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Aquia mentioned would be a good one. It also has the flush button on the tank lid, so you would save space there too.

Code likes 30" for the toilet fixture to set in, but a home that old sometimes gives you 24" or less.

NickR

Reaction score
Yeah, I actually have more than 15" on each side of the bowl... I just only have 8" on one side of the tank---there's a large ceiling support column on the right side of the toilet, and it sticks out 3" into the room.

Not sure what code would say about this situation... out of curiosity, does code specify where the 30" should be measured? From the back/tank or from the bowl?

Thanks again!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The important part is your shoulders.
I was looking for a picture I took of my son Taylor on a Summer vacation trip.
We had a "room", with a toilet. It was so tight, that they hung the toilet paper up high. Taylor was shoulder to shoulder with the walls. It was hilarious.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks