Recommend a new Toto toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Soccer

Reaction score
I have a pressure assisted Crane toilet with a p/f 2 Energizer in it. The toilet has given me nothing but trouble for the last 6 years (it's a piece of crap) and the flushmate replacement will end up running almost $150. I've heard a lot of people are very happy with Toto toilets and would like to know if all their models are of good quality and work well. I paid a lot of money for the Crane and don't want to spend that much again but would like recommendations on a good quality model without spending too much. Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I was in the same situation - had a Crane with a Flushmate that was noisy and needed periodic maintenance. I finally put a Toto Soiree in its place and have been very happy. I like Toto so much that when I remodeled our two other bathrooms I went with Toto Ultramax II (name since changed - can't remember what to).

I strongly recommend getting a Toto with "double cyclone" technology - Terry has some video on this site showing how it works.

What is your budget for a toilet?

Schipperke

Reaction score
I'd trade the New Ultramax I just installed for my Old Crane Economiser with the Flushmate 503 any day. Pulled the plunger out again today.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm going to go out on a limb and make a couple of not-too-wild guesses. My guess is when you installed the new Ultramax, you either used a wax ring with a plastic horn or funnel, or you didn't set the toilet down squarely on the wax ring. The limited information you have provided leads me to believe there is an obstruction involving the wax ring. It is also possible that something nonflushable got accidentally dropped in the toilet and is creating a problem. I say this because frankly, there just aren't clogging problems with Toto toilets. Not that there can't be circumstances that will cause an occasional clog, or sometimes a medical problem that generates extremely large and hard stools, but most of us Toto users don't even have a plunger. I would suggest you investigate the wax ring and/or for a foreign object wedged in the trap.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
98% of my customers do very well with any of the Toto toilets using a siphon jet flush.
Drake, Drake II, Ultramax, Ultramax II, Vespin II, Carlyle II, just to name a few.
The other 2% may need something else.

We pulled this childrens toy out of a toilet trapway. Like Gary mentions, sometimes you find all kinds of things.

gi_joe.jpg

Last edited:

Schipperke

Reaction score
Feed the Toto more Fiber

Used a plain, thin wax ring. The waste gets cought at the first bend most likely, very quick. More fiber may be good for both me & the toto.. "Doctor my foot hurts" , "Eat more fiber" (Seems to cure everything)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If someone is in the 2% that needs a Flushmate or a Caroma, then many other products won't work.

I use the Toto at my church, and they don't have any problems with them. I think membership is in the thousands. I have eight Toto Ultramax and one ADA Drake in the womens bath alone.
They must be eating right. Or at least in the 98 percentile.
I'm selling the Drake round front for $199.99 right now.

We pulled out five gallon American Standard toilets that were plugging all the time.
The 1.6 gallon Toto Drake and Ultramax are faring much, much better.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks