Recomendations for a shower valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

northman

Reaction score
I am roughing in a new shower, just a basic 3x3 shower that will be primarily guest use. Does anyone have preferences for brand or model to ensure a quality unit? The wife/architect will probably need final authority on the style choice, but if I can steer her towards a couple quality brand/model lines then perhaps everyone ends up happy. Thanks for the help.

Greg

northman

Reaction score
what does pressure-balancing do?

master plumber mark said:
do the delta pressure balanced 1700 faucet

you really cant go wrong with it...

what is a pressure-balanced faucet?

Greg

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
northman said:
what is a pressure-balanced faucet?

Greg

Scenario: You're taking a nice warm shower...sweety flushes da toilet, house has awful pressure and the cold side drops in flow.
Yer scalded!
A pressure balancing cartridge automatically cuts the flow on hot or cold to equalize any loss in pressure from either side.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
These are required on any new installations and many remodels. An alternative is a temperature controlled valve that contains similar components, but is a set it once type of thing. The cold water temperatuer changes a lot between summer and winter in most parts of the country...regarless, with a temperature controlled valve, you don't have to adjust it. Nor, do you have to turn it up as you empty the WH...it will maintain the set temperature as long as there is enough hot water; switching to basically all hot at the end as the WH empties.

Steve_MA

Reaction score
I am putting in an outdoor shower, would either of these be suitable to use? I have seen the Temprol on outdoor showers but I suspect they arent designed for it.
Any suggestions on a shower valve for outdoor showers? Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
pressure balanced would still likely be required, even if used outside. The bigger problem will be flushing the water out so it doesn't freeze in the winter.

Prashster

Reaction score
I asked the same question a year back. Got lots of recs for Delta 1700. Went with it. Happy with it. My unit has separate temp and pressure dials, which is nice. Keep the temp knob set how you like it, and then only turn the pressure knob to full each time you take a shower.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks