Recirculation Loop not working properly

Users who are viewing this thread

robmckinley

Reaction score
Just installed a new recirculation loop and it does not improve the time to deliver hot water. Here is what I have: Recirculation line starts by splicing into the 3/4" hot water line closest to my furthurest faucet (15 feet). I used 1/2" CPVC to come off the 3/4" exsisting hot water. The line comes back to the hot water heater. The line first goes into a Grundos Recirc Pump, then into a check valve, then into the bottom of the Water heater where the drain was previously. I have the total recirc line covered with insulation. The pump is lined up correclty. The pump is pushing water (I think) because I feel hot water throughout the recirc line. The pump is currently running 24 hours a day. PROBLEM: All facuets continue to take several minutes to get hot water to them. What happened?? Greatly appreciate any help....

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
The pump should be pulling the water back to the tank. The check valve must also have the flow arrow pointing to the tank.

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If the "furthest faucet" is only 20' from the heater, you should not have needed a circulation system. The "furthest faucet" should have "instant" hot water. If it does, but none of the others do, then the problem is the way the piping is arranged and the "hot water loop" bypasses them. If it does NOT, then you have installed something improperly, but without seeing it we cannot tell you what it is.

Last edited:

robmckinley

Reaction score
HJ....I wasn't very clear originallyy. What I meant to say is the I tied into the Hot Water line, in the attic approx 20 feet from the the furthest bathroom. The run back to the hot water heater is approx 40 feet. In the attic the the Recirculation loop is warm to the touch.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
20' of 3/4" pipe holds about a half a gallon. So, with vanity faucets limited to around 2gpm, it would take about 30-seconds to purge that water from your recycling point to the faucet IF you had it turned to all hot (probably not the normal situation). Want it faster, move the connection closer to the point of use. Most recirculation systems loop back at the point of use, then you only have to purge from the supply line to the risers for the faucet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks