Recirculate pump quit

Users who are viewing this thread

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not a a complaint nor a problem. Just a positive report on the Laing pump. About 7 or 8 years ago, I installed a hot water recirculation system using a Laing 303 pump. I opted to not use a timer so that I would have instant hot water 24/7. Well, the pump recently quit working. I still had hot water, but it would run hot for a short time then cool a bit before getting hot again. I determined that I was getting circulation but without the pump. Shut the pump off and closed the valves on the recirc. line and the hot water comes as it normally would without the recirc. Ordered a new Laing 303 and will have it in place soon. I frequently wondered how long the pump would last running 24/7. Guess I found out!
I

rjbphd

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not a a complaint nor a problem. Just a positive report on the Laing pump. About 7 or 8 years ago, I installed a hot water recirculation system using a Laing 303 pump. I opted to not use a timer so that I would have instant hot water 24/7. Well, the pump recently quit working. I still had hot water, but it would run hot for a short time then cool a bit before getting hot again. I determined that I was getting circulation but without the pump. Shut the pump off and closed the valves on the recirc. line and the hot water comes as it normally would without the recirc. Ordered a new Laing 303 and will have it in place soon. I frequently wondered how long the pump would last running 24/7. Guess I found out!
I

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You don't need circ pump on return line if it piped properly.
On a typical retrofit, the likelihood of having a system that will work via convection only is slim! You can plan for that on new or remodeling, but rarely as a simple retrofit.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
After the pump went out, it did work bia convection, but not like the real thing. Review what I said in the original post. I could have lived it, but I am spoiled.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I read and understood what you wrote...you just confirmed that you do not get the best recirculation without the pump. To get a good flow, it's much harder to do this as a retrofit, and may not work without a pump for the full effect. Otherwise, you might only have warm water, not hot or any, which seems to be your goal. IF it is designed well, no pump would be needed for full effect, but that rarely happens when not initially planned during original piping installation.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I get hot if I wait long enough. Until then it gets fairly hot, then cools a bit. I understand what it is doing and why. I could live with it this way, but I have gotten accustom to the instant hot and so the pump will be replaced. I was just expressing my satisfaction with the old pump lasting 7 years or so running 24/7. I didn't expect it to last forever. Good new is, this is located in an open area that is easy to access.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks