Recessed Wood Framed Mirror -- how to remove caulk without damage?

Users who are viewing this thread

jmmaguire

Reaction score
I am recessing a painted wood framed mirror over a vanity. It will need to be caulked all around before the walls are painted. But I want to have the option of removing it at a later date without damaging the painted frame when I remove the caulk. Does anyone have any suggestions on something I can apply to the mirror (an acrylic varnish maybe, or candle wax) before mounting it that will make caulk removal easier? Or some removal process or type of caulk that would remove without damaging the painted finish on the mirror frame?
Thanks!

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why do you need to caulk? It really makes no sense to try and prevent adhesion by caulk ... either a seal is required there or it is not.
If not, then leave the caulk off.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
How about putting "blue" masking tape on the back of the wood, so the caulk would not stick to the wood and then you could cut the edge where it did adhere to remove the frame.

jmmaguire

Reaction score
HJ,
Do you mean hide the blue tape under the caulk when I am installing the mirror? Do you think the adhesive in the tape would discolor the finish over time if it were left there for a long time?

Rburt5

Reaction score
I've used a construction adhesive remover made by goo gone that took dry silicone calk right off a shower faucet without damaging anything. I can't promise it won't hurt the paint on your frame, though. Can you tack up a piece of quarter-round wood finishing strip rather than calk? It might look better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks