Recessed Wood Framed Mirror -- how to remove caulk without damage?

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by jmmaguire, Oct 23, 2012.

1. jmmaguire

jmmaguire New Member

I am recessing a painted wood framed mirror over a vanity. It will need to be caulked all around before the walls are painted. But I want to have the option of removing it at a later date without damaging the painted frame when I remove the caulk. Does anyone have any suggestions on something I can apply to the mirror (an acrylic varnish maybe, or candle wax) before mounting it that will make caulk removal easier? Or some removal process or type of caulk that would remove without damaging the painted finish on the mirror frame?
    Thanks!
  2. kreemoweet

kreemoweet New Member

Why do you need to caulk? It really makes no sense to try and prevent adhesion by caulk ... either a seal is required there or it is not.
    If not, then leave the caulk off.
  3. jmmaguire

jmmaguire New Member

Without the caulk, there would be a little gap between the frame and the sheetrock.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

How about putting "blue" masking tape on the back of the wood, so the caulk would not stick to the wood and then you could cut the edge where it did adhere to remove the frame.
  5. jmmaguire

jmmaguire New Member

HJ,
    Do you mean hide the blue tape under the caulk when I am installing the mirror? Do you think the adhesive in the tape would discolor the finish over time if it were left there for a long time?
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Just use a strip as wide as the back of the wood surrounding the mirror.
    Dale Hartness likes this.
  7. Dale Hartness

Dale Hartness New Member

Here is YouTube Live video -How to remove caulk. I wish this video will help you a lot.

Dale K Hartness
  8. rburt5

rburt5 Member

I've used a construction adhesive remover made by goo gone that took dry silicone calk right off a shower faucet without damaging anything. I can't promise it won't hurt the paint on your frame, though. Can you tack up a piece of quarter-round wood finishing strip rather than calk? It might look better.