Recessed lights burning out

Users who are viewing this thread

tlarson

Reaction score
My daylite basement has nine Juno 6" cans on one three way circuit. I have never been able to get decent life from any type of lamp that I've used. Both standard lamps and Halogens burn out after only very short usage. They are IC rated cans, but there is no insulation in the joist space. Similar cans on the main floor work just fine, with decent lamp life. Right now I've put plain 60W bulbs in and nothing has failed in the last couple of weeks, but they look terrible. Any ideas?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Similar is not the same...somewhere in the fixture is usually a sticker indicating what are the acceptable bulbs. Are you using one that is acceptable?

An IC rated box usually has a thermostat in it that will shut the thing down if it gets too hot. If they're defective, the opening and closing would be like you sitting flicking the switch on and off for an extended time - that can cause a bulb to fail quickly. Same thing about the switch on the wall, if there's a loose connection somewhere either at the switch or somewhere in the string supplying power. If they're all on the same breaker...could be the breaker, or the screw attaching the power leads to it or the neutral bar.

I'd look for a loose connection either at the switch or the supply if the bulbs you are using are on the accepted list.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Your can is probably rated for 60W max. Higher wattage will overheat the bulb and the fixture. If you are using an appropriate bulb like a 60 or 40 watt R30 or R40, they should last longer than that.

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
I've got IC cans and use 60 watt equiv CF bulbs. (13 watt real)

The CF lights don't last as long in a can, but they do work for a couple years.

PS: I just got my first LED light :)
It's a 7 watt Par20 light and even though it's only 200 lumen's, it's actually about the same amount of light since the CF bulbs I am using aren't set up with reflectors.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
My daylite basement has nine Juno 6" cans on one three way circuit. I have never been able to get decent life from any type of lamp that I've used. Both standard lamps and Halogens burn out after only very short usage. They are IC rated cans, but there is no insulation in the joist space. Similar cans on the main floor work just fine, with decent lamp life. Right now I've put plain 60W bulbs in and nothing has failed in the last couple of weeks, but they look terrible. Any ideas?

People stomping around on the floor above. . .?
Higher than normal voltage. . .?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks