Recessed Lighting Help Needed

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depends on if you want task lighting or general illumination. The manufactuer's website will show the beam spread for various fixtures at standard heights. To keep lighting even, you need to overlap the beam patterns.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
In the kitchen, use 5 or 6 inch cans and place them directly over the counter/work space about 18 to 20 inches off the wall. Do not encroach on your upper cabinet crown moulding.

Also, keep them away from ceiling fans

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
We have a small kitchen & I used (4) 4" CFL cans in the ceiling
They provide a lot of light & we use them all the time
They had a $15 instant rebate coupon & the cost was $18 BEFORE the coupon :D
I bought about 12 of them

For my sunroom (open to kitchen) - cathedral ceiling - I went with (2) 6" cans
Further off the ground & better able to spread the light
Along one wall I installed (3) 4" cans to light the area where the table will go

Between the kitchen & sunroom will be a peninsula countertop with another (3) 4" cans

In the new great room I am also going w/6" cans - cathedral ceiling
The game room will have 6" cans too
The bar area will have the 4" cans again

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
When they make led's that can be dimmed I will be interested. We never or at least very very rarely run our recessed lights full out. Until then, my inventory will last my lifetime.

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
I WANT recessed lighting - is that realistic?
Four to six feet apart works for me.

Go to the store, buy six cans, come home, look at your kitchen and say, "I want a light here."(place can on floor), continue process 'till feeling of calmness and satisfaction rests on your mind. If you think you need more go back to the store.

My cans don't line up but I wanted to stay away from the runway look. Other people seem to like conformity and straight lines.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It might be more work than you want, but you could temporarily hook them up while on the floor pointing to the ceiling and look at the pattern. Adjust the positions until you get an even illumination pattern you like. The height of the can will allow the pattern to be slightly bigger once installed in the ceiling. Also note that the type of lamp you use will make a big difference in the spread you get, as can the trim you select.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks