Recessed light can located next to rain shower plumbing

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by ken.yong, Aug 22, 2011.

1. ken.yong

ken.yong New Member

I am planning to install an IC recessed light can (wet location rated) next to plumbing of a rain shower in a drop ceiling. Is there any minimum distance required between the light can and the rain shower plumbing? Does the light need to be GFCI? Thanks for any help!
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The light should be "sealed" if it is going into a shower, and if you CANNOT reach/touch it while in the shower it would not have to be a GFCI.
  3. MarkTLS

MarkTLS New Member

Recessed Lighting, Showers

Please make sure you use an approved "WET" location shower trim. Also we like the 4" Line voltage housing (wet location approved) with a CFL screwed in. Less heat and good bright soft light. Easy simple and inexpensive installation.
  4. BobL43

BobL43 DIY Senior Member

Bzzzzzzzzzt!

If it were me, and there was the slightest possibility of being touched, I would protect it by feeding it from a GFCI circuit. Even if it is rated to be inside the shower, but not in it. I don't care if it needs to be or not by code, it needs to be by me.