Recessed fixture problem

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by crosstalk, Jun 28, 2013.

1. crosstalk

crosstalk Member

Hello. The pictured recessed fixture decided to drop slightly out of the ceiling. It might have been held in previously with a paint film (I cleaned up the paint edge a bit before taking the photos), but is not tight to the ceiling currently. Are there clips that I can reset/tighten on this? How do I take it apart? I would think the trim piece would pull down or pop off but I can't get it to move--the whole can just floats around in the ceiling. Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. crosstalk

crosstalk Member

I figured out how to snap the trim off to get access to the retaining clips. I need a couple of new clips (might be lightolier part 1955). Anybody know if there is an equivalent/generic part available at the hardware store?
  3. Speedy Petey

Speedy Petey Licensed Electrical Contractor

If the can is down you should be able to turn the clips back into position. If they are bent back too far you can just bend them back in.

[​IMG]