Recess lighting

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by Barry J, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Barry J

Barry J New Member

I am installing recess lighting in my finished cellar room, I have suspended ceilings.
    The gap between the bottom of the joist and the top of the ceiling tile is 2 1/2 inches, but the most my can light ajust to is 1 inch lower. So if I mount it to my joist ..it won't reach the top of the tile.
    I know I can mount it on the ceiling frame, but is there a way I can do it on the joist??
    It's my first time with recess lights, does the "baffle" assembly somehow cover that gap of 1 1/2 inches??? The instructions that come with it is minimal.
    Thanks
    Barry
  2. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

Herein lies your answer. The instructions will tell you if you can or if you can't
  3. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Why don't you just scab on or cross-strap on a 2 inch piece of wood to the bottom of the joists to lower the cans? I would not trust mounting it to the suspended ceiling frame.
  4. Barry J

Barry J New Member

Alright, seems like either add more wood, or mount onto the frame...frame appears to be pretty stable,
    I've got 6 lights to put up and retrofitting all those lights with wood, seems like frame mount is way to go
    any negatives with installing on frame???
  5. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

Most every recess fixture I have installed in a lay-in ceiling was mounted to the ceiling grid.
    Every recessed can I have ever seen has adjustments for the depth of the can.

What brand name can are you using?
  6. Undfusk

Undfusk New Member

Which technology recess lights you have purchased?
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012