Receptacle question

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by Nate R, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Nate R

Nate R New Member

Any reason I should use the screws instead of the push in connector on a receptacle? Why?
  2. frenchie

frenchie Jack of all trades

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  3. Bob NH

Bob NH In the Trades

Only if reliability is important.

I have repaired a few connections where the sharp device that captures the wire created a nick in wire, which subsequently broke at that point. Since then I have always used the screw terminals if they are available.

On the other hand, I have some Square D QO tandem breakers from 1965 with push-in terminals that have served more than 40 years without any problems. There is no screw terminal on those breakers so there was no alternative to the push-in terminals.
  4. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

They tend to come out or create loose connections. The good receptacles allow you to insert the wire in the hole and then as you tighten the screw it clamps down inside--not just spring fit. Get that kind of take the extra minute to wrap them around the screw.

Jason
  5. Mikey

Mikey Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek

If you ever need to take the receptacle out you'll be glad you didn't use the back-stab. Also, the spec-grade back-stab receptacles I've seen don't allow #12 wire to be stabbed. I agree with Lakee911 -- the best are the back-wired ones that allow you to push the wire in directly, but use the screw to secure it.
  6. Alectrician

Alectrician DIY Senior Member

Yes.

More surfuce area is contacted with this method.
  7. Nate R

Nate R New Member

OK, points taken. Was replacing a broken light fixture with another one that will only be there temporarily, and the new one had both the slots and screws, so it hit me to ask here about it. I've always used the screws in the past.
  8. Bill Arden

Bill Arden Computer Programmer

I like the "back Clamp" type better.
    You strip the wire, insert it and tighten the screw.

Pros
    reliability
    Ease of use

Cons
    receptacle cost