Receptacle distance from cooking range?

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by skoby, Apr 22, 2014.

1. skoby

skoby New Member

I am remodeling my kitchen. I notice that one of the existing receptacle outlets is close to the cooking range. I'm going to move it as it's too close but wondered if there was a certain distance I needed to be away from it.

Also, while I'm asking. I am moving my refrigerator service. Is there a height requirement for the refrigerator receptacle? Thanks in advance :)
  2. Speedy Petey

Speedy Petey Licensed Electrical Contractor

No to both questions.
    No restrictions or distance requirements with regard to a range.
  3. skoby

skoby New Member

That was pretty speedy, pete. Thanks :)
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quoe; Is there a height requirement for the refrigerator receptacle?

NO, but some refrigerators have a specific area where the outlet has to be in order for it to slide in all the way. That area will be specified in the installation instructions.
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

For the frig, instead of a surface mounted duplex receptacle, you might want to consider a recessed single instead. But, if you put it where the manufacturer says, the thing will go all the way back. That is not necessarily true if it ever needs to be replaced, though - the new one may want it in a different location.
  6. ActionDave

ActionDave Electrician

I wouldn't worry about a recpt being to close to the range. Back in the day they used to come with 120V plugs installed right on them.