Rebuilding Sterling faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

CubGirl

Reaction score
hi everybody,

i already paid a plumber who absconded after he was paid, so i need to do this work myself!! (dumb i know, but i really thought he'd return... now i'm glad he didn't come back -- his work was no good.),

anyway, i have a sterling faucet, at least a sterling stem came out of it. the faucet seems to be older and has an "S" broach (square) and i've attached a picture of the rebuild kit i purchased. the rebuild kit has no seat, o-rings or springs.
BXK869.jpg

the sterling faucet's "seat" is not like other seats that i find on the internet. it cannot be removed with a seat tool, at least not the one i have. so i took a flashlight and looked inside the valve. the valve is inside a fiberglass shower with no rear access, so i just peer through the holes from the front.

what i see are threads inside the metal female portion that juts out of the valve. the female portion appears to be a bit larger than 1/2" but i can't measure it. in the rear, behind the threads, is a white plastic piece that looks like the ones in the picture of a repair kit (the pic with the o-rings and springs), which is attached.
sterling kit 2.jpg

initially, i did not remove the stem (the wayward plumber removed it) so i don't know if there's a missing piece to the faucet but i don't think there's anything missing. but when i try to screw the stem onto the seat, there are not enough threads to secure it to the valve. it starts to screw on but then stops. it's kind of wobbly and any turn of the stem that holds on handle causes the stem to fall out.

do any of you have experience with these types of valves & stems? i can't figure out how to get the seat off or how to re-attach the stem.

thanks in advance. you guys sure do help me out a lot!!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks