Rebuilding shower, want new handle and head

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I am remodelnig our master bathroom. Building new shower, and will keep existing tub, separated by a knee wall and glass on shower. Anyhoo, both are all Moen, new about 7 years ago with the house. I want different shower head, handle and new bath tub spout and single handle(2 handles now, will have to get creative with a cover up of some sort).

1) Should I try and keep the existing shower valve and just buy new head and handle and escutcheon? If so, where can I buy just the parts. Seems most everything online wants to sell everything including the valve.

2) The tub is some kind of acrylic or plastic or whatever. 2 handles and spout are mounted on the top of the tub deck. I want to cover these holes up, maybe a big old soap dish or something, and redo plumbing so it comes out of knee wall between shower and tub. Single handle on the knee wall, with spout coming out of same knee wall. Same question as for shower, is it worth keeping the valve, if so where to buy the parts needed?

Thanks!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You can purchase and install any shower head and tub spout you like. The connections for these are not tied to any brand or model of valve.

Now, to go from a 2 handle to a single handle means changing the valve in the wall. There are cover plates made to cover the 2 holes and allow the single handle in the middle. You still have to have good access inside the wall to remove the old valve and install a new one. This would be much easier if you could cut an access hole from the backside. If that is not possible, it can be done through a cut in the fibreglas. It is just harder.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I will have plenty of access to the valves. I am gonig to rebuild the knee wall that the bath valve is in, so the old one is going bingity-bing-bam-boom away. So is the shower valve worth saving? Don't know what the life expectancy is for these, and since I will have that wall wide open also, easier to replace now then later.

If I go to Moen site it looks like I can get what I need, but probably need to check my valve to see if compatible with what I want I suppose. Or maybe a Moen valve works with any Moen parts? Dunno.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Switching from a two handle shower valve to a single with balancing is a good idea. I haven't been allowed to install two handles valves for a shower in over 10 years.

The deck tub, could keep the old two handle set up, you don't shower in that one.

If you go to the www.moen.com
web site, you will see many trim options.

Reaction score
But Terry, that wouldn't be as cool as a single handle on the wall! Instead of a spout, I actually want to put like a waterfall like effect coming out of wall. Of course I gotta figure out the logistics for doing this. I will attach a crude drawing of what I mean. It would have been a better drawing, but my 9 year old is still at gymnastics practice else she could have done a better job at drawing.

I come by way of John Bridge's forums, where you are well thought of!!!

Attachments

• spout2.jpg
    spout2.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 561
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks