Rebedding a Culligan Carbon Filter / General Water Treatment System Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

scrupul0us

Reaction score
First post!

We bought a house out in the "country" in January and it's on a well...

When we first moved in the sulfur was AWEFUL...

The well has a culligan system on it as follows:

-Bleech injection
-Wellmate pressure tank
-120 gal holding tank
-Culligan Cullar carbon filter
-Reverse osmosis system (3 filters and another small tank)

OK... so when we first got in the issue was the injection port being blocked and the duckbill/check valve being hardened... While the tech was there he gave a run down on the entire system and how to do just about everything myself so I didnt have to waste my $$$ calling them (two beers and some small talk goes a long way)

So right off the bat I had two issues, the wellmate tank bladder had a hole in which contributed to the crummy pressure we had (he quoted me $800 to replace it, I did it myself with the same tank from a distributor for $190)

The other issue was the cullar needing to be rebed... The previous owners had basically moved out for an entire year and didnt monitor the bleach levels so alot of the time pure sulfured water went right into carbon fouling it out... Doing nightly regens definitely helped, but, theres still some sulfur there

So I've been doing my homework and asking around and I guess it's not terribly difficult to rebed these yourself buuuut Ive read and heard alot of bad stuff about these and its just better to get a different filter that I can more easily maintain myself.

Eitherway the cost to me is $500 to culligan or $500 for the new system unless I can rebed it myself for the cost of the carbon and the gravel... The issue is, I dont know what kind of gravel, what kind of carbon, how much of each and the procedure to actually do the rebedding

So thats my first overall "question" if you will...

My second question is about my chem feeder... I have a Stenner 85MHP17... Is this an OK pump? This weekend the pump tube in the head sprung a leak and was squirting bleach all over the wall (tiny hole where the tube meets the ferrel)... I ordered some new tubes and duckbills online (5 of each) for about 90$ shipped... The Culligan guy told me it should be serviced yearly

My last question is about my reverse osmosis system... oye, i guess it works ok... we dont really use the tap on the sink that its tied into but our fridge ice maker and water dispenser are tied to the line and my god the pressure is aweful... the cube come out partial and the water is basically a slow tiny stream from the dispenser (2 minutes to fill a milk glass) yet the tap on the sink sends out water with no issue... perhaps the restriction of the filter in the fridge is more than the pressure the osmosis system translates through its lines? should i retap from a copper line just for the fridge?

So i think thats about it... thanks for letting me ask so much!

Brian

EDIT: The tank has CENTAUR written on it in Sharpee... I presume thats the type of activated carbon they used to bed the tank

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Use plastic line from the RO to the fridge. The RO water is too aggressive for copper. If the fridge has an in-line filter, remove it.

Does the RO filter have a booster pump? have you checked the air pressure on on the RO filter's bladder?

scrupul0us

Reaction score
No copper involved, all plastic...

I have not touched the RO system at all actually... I'm sure the three filters are due for replacement and the inline filter after the three as well

How do I check the pressure on the RO bladder tank? I didnt see a valve stem on it to check... Whats the ideal pressure?

The fridge has it's own inline water purifier filter... I'll swap it for the blank the vendor supplied and see how that affects the output and reply

Thanks

scrupul0us

Reaction score
OK... removed the filter and substituted the blank... MUCH better output... I'm kinda bummed though as I specifically bought the fridge for its extra filtration... would doing a direct tape from the house lines help cope with the filter?

scrupul0us

Reaction score
I honestly had no intentions of replacing all the RO filters due to the cost so my fall back would be the filter in the fridge

I just priced all the filters at filterfast.com though and it looks like I can get by under $100 plus some shipping which isn't bad.

Thanks for the link, that's some solid information... I'll have to find my tire pressure checker and go through those motions to double check.

Now I know why my parents were so glad to be on town water when we moved upstate as kids, this is a little bit of a hassle, albeit not unmanageable...

Rjh2o

Reaction score
You can rebed the Carbon tank yourself. There are several on-line sites to get the centaur and gravel under-beding. Here are two links to suppliers
http://www.ohiopurewater.com http://www.uswatersystems.com

In regard to your RO system. The 3 gallon RO tank does not supply enough volume or pressure to operate the refrigerator efficiently. Refrigerators with a built in filter require a minimum 20psi to operate fridge. If the 3gal RO tank is in basement there will a pressure loss also. I would suggest looking for a 10-20 gallon RO tank to replace the 3 gal tank. RO tanks are available from the same suppliers and replacement filters for your culligan RO are available from OPW.
RJ

scrupul0us

Reaction score
thank you very much for the links... are there any resources/links/tutorials/videos for how to do the rebed?

thank you

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks