Rebed- what type of gravel???

Users who are viewing this thread

croghanite

Reaction score
Hey folks!

I'm rebedding my tank and I was wondering what type of "gravel" to put in the bottom. These fellars told me to buy their "Gravel silica 1/4 x 1/8".

I was wondering if the pea gravel that Lowes sells is the same stuff? What gravel do y'all use? Do you think their price is reasonable?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the gravel at lowes is of the same size then it should work, you might wish to wash it before useing in your system with some thing like iron out or a chlorine bath,,, not sure if Lowes is the same stuff out side of the same size.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Hey folks!

I'm rebedding my tank and I was wondering what type of "gravel" to put in the bottom. These fellars told me to buy their "Gravel silica 1/4 x 1/8".

I was wondering if the pea gravel that Lowes sells is the same stuff? What gravel do y'all use? Do you think their price is reasonable?
Hell man, ya really wanna save a few bucks, go get gravel over at the local creek, or some driveway or a quarry. Or simply pour the resin and gravel into salt bags in 5 gal buckets and poke little holes in the bag to allow the water to drain out into the bucket and then when you start getting gravel use an empty bag/bucket and stick a garden hose in the bag/bucket and float the resin out leaving the gravel in the bag to reuse it. You can pour the water/resin out too if you'll lift the bucket. Sweep up the resin or at least sweep it off the driveway into the grass. Put the bags full of resin in the garbage after allowing the water to drain out the bag. If your "tank" is a filter, substitute mineral for resin.

If you buy new gravel, it should be water treatment gravel and approved by the FDA for potable water use and as you should know, it should be from a water treatment dealer if ya wanna do it right and only once.

JKERN

Reaction score
Wow that has to be one of the best replies I've seen on this page yet. But Gary one thing I would change about your bag softener design is why waste the drive way gravel when you can simple rake it out of your aquarium and rinse the fish terds off of it and then have multi colored gravel for your media bed! We'll call it designer gravel!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks