Reasonable size hole for putting in tub trap?

Users who are viewing this thread

Taylor

Reaction score
Question: what do people consider as reasonable size hole in bathroom subfloor so the plumber can put in the trap for the tub. There is an access panel in the wall at the waste end of the tub, the bottom plate for the plumbing wall will be about level with the subfloor.

My plumber asked for a 16" x 16" hole, which took my breath away. I was planning on 6" x 12". I can make it 16" wide because I had two pairs of TJIs installed to support the tub (Kohler Memoirs CI), each pair supporting two of the tub's feet. However this tub sits on little pixy feet that are about 13" from the wall, so I'm thinking max 12" out from the wall. Then my nervousness about the width is that the carpenter damaged one of the flanges on a TJI and I'd like the subfloor (2 layers of 3/4" Sturd-I-Floor) to spread the load around as much as possible.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I"ve been cutting them at 12" long and 8" wide.
Does he have access from below, if not I could see why he might ask for more size.
Your tub could be different.
Structurally, I don't see much difference if the joist's are untouched.

Taylor

Reaction score
No access from below, unless I start working on that mold-damaged ceiling in the kitchen, damaged by leak in earlier tub.... I can see DW packing up and leaving now if the kitchen is touched before the bathroom is finished....

On width, I've been made sensitive to over-wide notches because of damage to joists by previous work on bathroom....

Thanks for your comments.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks