rear flush toilet for below grade basement

Users who are viewing this thread

hil

Reaction score
Ok I will try to make this simple. I have a salvaged rear flush toilet and cast iron support bracket. I have limited $.

Top of 4 inch clay sewer pipe is 30.5 inches below top of concrete foundation. Concrete floor of basement is 38 inches below top of foundation. That's all ok.
What I need is to avoid the monsterous flange that is supposed to mate to the back of the support bracket. Reason #1 it is expensive. Reason #2 the foundation wall is 8 inches thick concrete, making the rear flange a real no go. My solution and problem : Solution : Remove 4 inch steel threaded pipe nipple attached to support bracket. This is for the wax seal connection to toilet (has a 4 inch steel ring to fit the porcelain hub at the back of the toilet). Replace with 4 inch Abs threaded pipe nipple and reattach the steel ring. Then slip fit a 3 inch abs pipe through the back of support bracket and into the 4 inch abs nipple using a reducer bushing ( glue to seal). so I would have the wax seal at the toilet and a seal at the support bracket eliminating the flange seal. Then just configure to the clay pipe with various cast iron combos for sink and shower and of course a backflow valve and vent stack.
Problem : I cannot find a 4 inch threaded abs nipple. I have however found an almost perfect slip fit abs toilet flange that i can cannibalize and make into a reducer bushing.
All so complicated and all i need is a 4 inch piece of threaded abs pipe. does this exist? I thought about making what I need with a pipe cutting die.
And for those of you who do math, yes the sewer is higher than the floor. And yes I shot it with my laser and by raising the toilet up on the support bracket a couple of inches i can achive the necessary fall.
So who out there has any ideas? Thread a piece of 4" ABS pipe? Has anyone out there tried to do that?
And yes these parts, toilet, support bracket and flange are from and for commercial application.
But are going into residential with no inspection.
Thanks for any help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It will get really ugly if your sewer ever backs up...

Most of the pros here try to help you do it the right way, not to attempt a kludge that might work. You never know, though, so keep listening.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is a forum for DIY folks to get assistance with various plumbing related problems. However, no one is going to offer suggestions on how to do anything that is not according to plumbing codes. Codes are for your protection, your family's protection, and your community's protection. They are not intended to just make it difficult for DIY. We all like to save some money, but saving money does not trump doing the job right. I sure don't know if this free toilet can ever be made to function legally or not, I'll leave that to the pros. I think you should do the same.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks