Rear Discharge toilet in basement???

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by slowgsxr97, Jan 24, 2014.

1. slowgsxr97

slowgsxr97 New Member

Hello, Im looking to put a bathroom in my basement but really do not want to bust the concrete floor up. I drew a little sketch of what is on my 4" stack now, just bought the house, and a possible after. Is this to much stuff on a 4" stack? The kitchen is on the other side of the house and has its own 2" vent

Can I ad a rear discharge floor mount toilet directly to the stack? It would be 18" from the stack.
    toiletbowlelong.jpg
    Then to the left of the toilet have a washer, sink, and shower pumped and vented to the same 4" stack, via something like this
    saniswiftrear.jpg
    Here is a horrid sketch of what I have now
    Scan0001.jpg
    Here is what I am thinking. Having these 3 pumped and vented to the 4" stack.
    Scan0002.jpg

Will the rear discharge work? Its $249 I would rather pay more for the toilet then break up my floor. The pump for the shower/sink/washer is about the same price.

Any input is appreciated, Thanks.
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

You will need to vent the toilet before it enters the stack. Otherwise, everytime a toilet is flushed upstairs, it will make the lower bowl lose water.
  3. slowgsxr97

slowgsxr97 New Member

would it vent back into the stack just anywhere? or does it need to be vented above where the main floor toilet ties in?

If I put a 4x2 reducing tee in above where the main floor toilet ties into the stack would it be sufficient to vent all the basement things into the 2 inch "washer,shower,sink,toilet" ?
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

You can join into the existing vent 42" above the floor OR 6" above the flood rim of the highest thing draining into that line - whichever is higher. The new vent does not need to go all the way up and out the roof if it can join into the existing one. Now, the overall required size of the vent that goes up from there has some rules (the more things that vent, the bigger it needs to be). As I understand it, that is governed by the amount of fixture units. Each type of thing (sink, washing machine, etc.) has a FU assigned to it. It's also possible that different codes allow different values, so you'd need to know what code cycle is used where you live.
  5. slowgsxr97

slowgsxr97 New Member

So... if I want to use the main stack as the vent I need to tie the basement vent stuff in above the sink on the main floor bathroom, correct?