rear discharge toilet---does it need a special flange?

Users who are viewing this thread

BartCook

Reaction score
we are just about to have the back of our house dug up and replace the old cast iron sewer pipe, as well as correct some other drainage issues.
as a part of this process, i intended to replace the cast iron through the basement wall with PVC. currently, all the drain pipes inside the house is ABS plastic.

the basement toilet is a rear-discharge toilet, and 2 upstairs bathrooms drain into the current cast iron pipe behind the paneling in the basement bathroom, but on the inside of the basement walls.

i had the plumber out this morning to look at the project. he has never seen a rear discharge toilet before. (we live in the boonies) and so he doesn't know if he would need special fittings.

what i need/want to know is-----is the flange that the rear-discharge toilet attatched to a special (horizontal) flange, or is it a normal (vertical) flange just turned on it's side?

the cast iron that the basement toilet is attached to does not look to be in bad condition, but i don't know how it will look after replacing the cast iron pipe through the basement wall.

i see from some other posts that you recommend neoprene gaskets rather than wax rings for rear-discharge toilets.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF the toilet only has two small bolts fastening it to the wall, then it used a standard flange turned sideways. You either use a neoprene gasket or a "special" wax seal labeled "for use with wall mount toilets". DO NOT use a standard one.

BartCook

Reaction score
IF the toilet only has two small bolts fastening it to the wall, then it used a standard flange turned sideways. You either use a neoprene gasket or a "special" wax seal labeled "for use with wall mount toilets". DO NOT use a standard one.
thank you for the reply----it is becoming much less mysterious, now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks