Rear "cut out" specs for different Toto Aquia Models

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by TinyBathroom, Jul 23, 2013.

1. TinyBathroom

TinyBathroom New Member

Hi all,
    First of all, thanks so much for this forum. Over the years we have referred to it as "guests" for all sorts of plumbing questions that have come up. Now we find ourselves facing something that forced us to register and post!

Over the weekend we had to finally pull out the toilet in our tiny little bathroom. It has been a long time coming...it had a cracked top and major condensation issues. We were waiting until we could afford to do a big renovation...re-do the floor, vanity, etc. Well, the toilet started leaking profusely so out it went. Nothing like having the one toilet in your house be out of commission in order to speed up a renovation!

Now we are running into some major hurdles with getting a new toilet. It is a standard 12" rough-in, but the trick is we have copper pipes running behind (to supply the shower on the other side...it is a half-basement and just a painted cement foundation wall behind the toilet). The pipes are 3 inches out from the wall, at 8" and 12" high. The old toilet accommodated them just fine as the bowl was further from the wall than the tank.

We were planning to replace with an insulated drake as our plumber recommended before he saw the complicated spot. Turns out the back of the drake bowl is pretty much flush with the tank...in other words...no room for those pipes to run behind. We considered using a 10" rough in to make room, but then the front of the toilet sticks out so far that the door won't close.

Seems our best and only bet is the Toto Aquia. We are looking at the two piece, standard height model of the Aquia (cst416m) OR the One Piece Aquia (MS654114MF). It looks like both of these toilets have a cut out area below the tank which could possibly accommodate the pipes running behind. But on the spec sheets and everywhere else I have looked, I cannot find specifics on these dimensions. Could anyone on here possibly help me track this information down? I live very rurally and have only found one plumbing store who has them in stock but isn't too excited about the idea of opening the boxes and measuring for me (or even having me come do it.)

Condensation has been a summertime issue in the past. Mixing hot in the line isn't an option (I won't even get into that...). We are hoping since there is not an insulated tank option, at least the fact that the aquia uses less water for most flushes will help the water in the tank mix slower and help prevent condensation. We will also be upgrading our dehumidifier in the next year or so to hopefully help.

Thanks so much!
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

The one piece version on a tight, less than 12" rough.

[​IMG]

And the two piece CST416M
  3. TinyBathroom

TinyBathroom New Member

Thank you for these photos, Terry. I have actually come across them in my search and have studied them at length!!! It looks like the one piece has more height in regards to the cut-out...and that the space could possibly be 3 inches. The two piece looks like a deeper cut-out depth wise but it would be tough to accommodate the height on that top pipe at 12". Any chance these toilets are handy enough to throw a tape measure in the photo? Ha! Joking.... I am sure they were past clients:)