Really Scarey Stuff in My Water

Users who are viewing this thread

dwiall

Reaction score
I am on a well and just installed a water softener and a Omni filter. out of curiosity I wanted to see what I filtering away from. When I took the filter out the contianer was full of a floculant brownish slime. I attached a picture for you to look at to help Identify it. It is odorless and floats around in the water very well and does not stick to itself. Is this iron bacteria? My toilets are not slimey and have no smell. Thanks for any help.

Bacteria..jpg

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
It looks like IRB to me. Which is harmless.

You may not have it in toilet tanks yet or are cleaning it out inadvertently without noticing it. You won't have any if you have any of the toilet tank/bowl cleaners in the tank.

If you have this filter in front of the softener, you should remove the cartridge. If it is past the softner then the resin is probably going to load up with the slime.

dwiall

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. My filter is before the softener. If I remove the cartridge will it then slim up my mineral tank? Also, I was refering to the tank behind the toilet and it has never been cleaned, house is 2 years old.

Can you filter away from the IRB? I had the well driler dril another 60 feet on my well so I could get more water for an irrigation system. They did not lower the pump. Water test before and after did not show any IRB. IRB was my my biggest fear when drilling deeper.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I don't think that most labs can test for IRB. So did you have a Coliform bacteria test instead of IRB? Coliform is a normal test after drilling a well. The best test for IRB is slime in the toilet tank. And if you don't have any slime in the toilet tanks, then this slimy stuff just started or it is not IRB.

Why drill a well deeper and then not set the pump lower to be able to use the water below its inlet?

dwiall

Reaction score
Not sure what they tested for but the test came back as no bacteria and 5 nitrate.

The orignal well was, water at 80' pump at 120' well depth of 180'. I had a bigger pump (2hp 18gpm) put on to supply the irrigation system. They dropped the pump to 160' and I could run it dry in 45 minutes. The well driller said he could get me the water I wanted (30gpm, forever) but he would have to drill deeper. They drilled to 220' and I now have all the water you could ever want. The water from the extra 40' just helps to keep the hole full. They must have hit another pocket of water or something.

What type of test should I have done on the water?

Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks