Really bonehead move... now I need to remove PEX from a manifold

Users who are viewing this thread

restorick

Reaction score
Been lurking here for a while, never posted before. Excellent info and some great folks!

Yesterday, I pulled a bonehead move. I was in the basement ceiling hooking PEX up to hot and cold manifolds when I realized I had connected one blue pipe on hot and one red pipe on cold. It was late, I was thirsty, the sun was in my eyes... whatever excuse works... lol

Anyway, any tricks on the best way to remove metal crimp connectors so that I don't damage the manifolds?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Rick

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes you can use a very heavy duty pair of wire cutters or buy the special tool that is made

for that purpose !

OR YOU CAN GO BACK A FEW INCHES FROM THE MANIFOLD CUT THE

PEX SWITCH THEM AND SPLICE BACK WITH COUPLERS AND BE DONE

WITH THE JOB !

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Using a hacksaw make a shallow cut in the crimp ring, then using a screw driver in the slot twist it until the crimp ring splits. Do not cut through the crimp ring into the pipe.

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Water is color blind, but the person who installed blue to the cold sides and red to the hot was not. At least not until he inserted a blue line among a bunch of red ones and vice versa. It must have been real dark when that happened. You should not have to damage the manifold, but you MAY have to cut the tubing and couple a new piece to it.

Last edited:

restorick

Reaction score
Water is color blind, but the person who installed blue to the cold sides and red to the hot was not. At least not until he inserted a blue line among a bunch of red ones and vice versa. It must have been real dark when that happened. You should not have to damage the manifold, but you MAY have to cut the tubing and couple a new piece to it.

HJ...

To set the record straight, the pipes were the first ones on the manifold! It was late in the day, I was craving Miller time, it was hot in the joist space, the sun was in my eyes... lol

Thanks for the tips folks - I'll do the hacksaw thing and move forward.

Thanks again!
Rick

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks