Real time help needed/water main!

Users who are viewing this thread

Seattle38

Reaction score
I'm in a bit of a bind. I've been in the process of installing a new copper water main (one inch type L soft) from the meter to the house. the line is laid, but the copper tubing at the meter end is slightly oblong, not round. After screwing around with it and attempting to sweat it four times (still leaking), I'm at a loss at this point. I sweated the other end in the house, not problem, this end was round.

I either need a good plumber who can get the tubing hooked up for me at the meter, or perhaps a different type of connection;

do one inch brass compression fittings exist??? Where can I get one if they do?

Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF the tubing is out of round there is NO WAY you will ever get a compression fitting on to the tubing, much less keep it from leaking. A good plumber will have inside and outside "resizing" tools to restore it to the proper size and make it round.

Seattle38

Reaction score
Ok, so it sounds like I need to get a plumber out here to resize and sweat it.

Anyone know of a good plumber in the Bothell/Woodinville, WA area?

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm in Canada but here you cannot sweat underground, it must be either compresion or silver souldered. Can you go further back on the tube to where it is not oblong and cut it there? Either that or go to where it is connected to the meter, normally it would have a threaded fitting you could connect directly to.

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
I'm in a bit of a bind. I've been in the process of installing a new copper water main (one inch type L soft) from the meter to the house. the line is laid, but the copper tubing at the meter end is slightly oblong, not round. After screwing around with it and attempting to sweat it four times (still leaking), I'm at a loss at this point. I sweated the other end in the house, not problem, this end was round.

I either need a good plumber who can get the tubing hooked up for me at the meter, or perhaps a different type of connection;

do one inch brass compression fittings exist??? Where can I get one if they do?

Thanks!

If you can get a fitting on it then you should be able to solder it. Are you sure you cleaned the pipe properly. Sometimes when the pipe is out of round it makes cleaning it a little more difficult.

Seattle38

Reaction score
cleaned it really well, even reshaped the pipe so it was as round as possible. Is it possible I'm getting the pipe too hot? using map gas, since it's one inch. I suppose I could try again tomorrow, but I'm at the point where I'm ok with just paying someone to do it right.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Here, and everywhere else I have been, the underground joints which have to be brazed are under a concrete slab INSIDE the building, and if they are not brazed they can be flared, but NEVER compression. Outdoors, underground, you can do almost anything you wish to.

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is from the B.C code thats based on the Canadian National Plumbing Code.

4) Except as provided in Sentence (5), joints in copper tubes installed underground shall be made with either flared or compression fittings, or be brazed using a brazing alloy within the American Welding Society's AWS-BCuP range.

5) Compression fittings shall not be used underground under a building.

So yes I agree no compression under slab however he is talking about connecting outside by the meter. By my code thats going to be either brazed, flared or compression. This very well may be different down south, although in most cases I have found the code to be very close to ours.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
There is no point to brazing vs. solder unless you plan for pressure over 1000 psi. Resolder it and go light on the heat, you are probably too hot.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks