Real time help needed/water main!

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Seattle38, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Seattle38

Seattle38 New Member

I'm in a bit of a bind. I've been in the process of installing a new copper water main (one inch type L soft) from the meter to the house. the line is laid, but the copper tubing at the meter end is slightly oblong, not round. After screwing around with it and attempting to sweat it four times (still leaking), I'm at a loss at this point. I sweated the other end in the house, not problem, this end was round.

I either need a good plumber who can get the tubing hooked up for me at the meter, or perhaps a different type of connection;

do one inch brass compression fittings exist??? Where can I get one if they do?

Thanks!
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

IF the tubing is out of round there is NO WAY you will ever get a compression fitting on to the tubing, much less keep it from leaking. A good plumber will have inside and outside "resizing" tools to restore it to the proper size and make it round.
  3. Seattle38

Seattle38 New Member

Ok, so it sounds like I need to get a plumber out here to resize and sweat it.

Anyone know of a good plumber in the Bothell/Woodinville, WA area?
  4. Jerome2877

Jerome2877 In the Trades

I'm in Canada but here you cannot sweat underground, it must be either compresion or silver souldered. Can you go further back on the tube to where it is not oblong and cut it there? Either that or go to where it is connected to the meter, normally it would have a threaded fitting you could connect directly to.
  5. Winslow

Winslow Plumber

If you can get a fitting on it then you should be able to solder it. Are you sure you cleaned the pipe properly. Sometimes when the pipe is out of round it makes cleaning it a little more difficult.
  6. Seattle38

Seattle38 New Member

cleaned it really well, even reshaped the pipe so it was as round as possible. Is it possible I'm getting the pipe too hot? using map gas, since it's one inch. I suppose I could try again tomorrow, but I'm at the point where I'm ok with just paying someone to do it right.
  7. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

There is a fairly decent plumber in your area. His name is Terry Love. Might try him.
  8. Seattle38

Seattle38 New Member

Left him a message!
  9. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Here, and everywhere else I have been, the underground joints which have to be brazed are under a concrete slab INSIDE the building, and if they are not brazed they can be flared, but NEVER compression. Outdoors, underground, you can do almost anything you wish to.
  10. Jerome2877

Jerome2877 In the Trades

This is from the B.C code thats based on the Canadian National Plumbing Code.

4) Except as provided in Sentence (5), joints in copper tubes installed underground shall be made with either flared or compression fittings, or be brazed using a brazing alloy within the American Welding Society's AWS-BCuP range.

5) Compression fittings shall not be used underground under a building.

So yes I agree no compression under slab however he is talking about connecting outside by the meter. By my code thats going to be either brazed, flared or compression. This very well may be different down south, although in most cases I have found the code to be very close to ours.
  11. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

There is no point to brazing vs. solder unless you plan for pressure over 1000 psi. Resolder it and go light on the heat, you are probably too hot.
  12. Jerome2877

Jerome2877 In the Trades

OK forget the codes how about just EPOXY it then lol!
  13. Jerome2877

Jerome2877 In the Trades

A furnco and some duct tape? On a serious note though, how did it go seattle 38?