re-using fittings

Users who are viewing this thread

samlin7

Reaction score
Hi

This may sound stupid, but i am fairly new at this plumbing thing,

I soldered a brass fitting to a m-rated copper pipe, Now I hear that I should use a L-rated copper pipe. Luckily it is a short piece and easy to undo and put in the L-pipe.

My question is can I reuse the brass fitting (a 1/2" sweat joint on one end and a 1/2" threaded female end on the other) once I unsolder it?

Thanks
sam

Construct30

Reaction score
Yes if you need to. Don't over heat it. Getting the solder out to put the new pipe can be a pain and you will have to re do the threaded fitting if it is installed, you will burn the paste or tape out.

Last edited:

samlin7

Reaction score
Thanks,

Those little things add up in price if i keep messing up

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Type M and Type L have the same O.D. (outside diameter).
The wall thickness is different and it effects the
I.D. (inside diameter)

samlin7

Reaction score
HUMMM,

So would it be ok for me to leave my M-rating copper and not change it? It is for a bathroom sink and the run is about 4' and not near an outside wall??

Construct30

Reaction score
I use L in outside walls, sometimes, and under ground or for hotwater heat.

In my opinion the M is fine from what you said. The L is better I won't say it isn't. Some people always use it some go for less expensive and easier to work with. It does have a bit to do with water conditions in you local area as far as how long it will last. Many sources say that using thicker copper will not help failure due to water conditions enough to be worth it.

I've had customers insist on all type L and I use it. I look at the cheap fittings in use today and wonder if it matters.

Last edited:

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
HUMMM,

So would it be ok for me to leave my M-rating copper and not change it? It is for a bathroom sink and the run is about 4' and not near an outside wall??

You hadn't made the use clear, never use type M on potable water.
It's main use is in closed systems like hydronic heat where oxygen levels are low so corrosion is less likely.
You'd mentioned a brass fitting, so I thought it was a drain.
I'm afraid the news is still bad.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Here, we've used nothing but M for home plumbing, at least until plastic came along. It's worked quite well, for the most part, and my spate of recent pinhole leak finds have almost all been in L hard or L soft copper. (Mostly soft)

Just last week, I did a repair on a recirc system that had a pinhole in a 45. That's certainly not unusual.

The previous couple of pinholes were a leak under a slab with 1/2" soft L and a leak in a crawlspace where soft L was used to route under beams. What worries me is that I've been seeing more than the usual number of copper leaks, and I have to wonder if it has something to do with our water table . . .

I agree that it's better to use L, but when it's lowest-bidder time, you use apples to apples.

Construct30

Reaction score
You hadn't made the use clear, never use type M on potable water.
It's main use is in closed systems like hydronic heat where oxygen levels are low so corrosion is less likely.
You'd mentioned a brass fitting, so I thought it was a drain.
I'm afraid the news is still bad.

Just wondering where that comes from, never, I think type M is used a lot. Like I said I would never argue that L isn't better, but you can use M there is no law of man or nature that I know of saying not to. Beside the cheap foriegn fittings everyone is selling are lighter than the Type M and that will be where most failures will come from in the future, just as they have in PEX.

Most people will say if you have water destroying copper pipe, the use of heavier pipe will not solve it. The money would be better spent fixing the PH or mineral content in the water.

L is way better don't get me wrong, but using M is not wrong per say.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
L is way better don't get me wrong, but using M is not wrong per say.

Must be a state thing, it's forbidden here on potable...just ask Patrick or Cass.
Here, using type M is considered about as bad as using copper on NG...I've seen guys use it when stock on the truck has run out and then sand off the lables so the inspector can't see it.
Ordinarily I'd say it could just be a local superstition, but I've had the first hand experience to see how quickly it erodes in high mineral area's, it was allowed for a brief period years ago.
There are towns in this state where you could clean house just by advertizing copper alternatives for repipes.
It's ironic how taboo's in one state can be considered the norm in another.

Construct30

Reaction score
Like you said it could be a water thing and your state had enough trouble to mandate it and I know a lot of older plumbers here that would never use M.

Something for us to keep in mind with posts like these, some one catch the original poster and tell him to check local and state codes.

Last edited:

samlin7

Reaction score
From what I am hearing I think I probably will have to go with L type copper. It is probably safer way to go.

And i guess the 2nd time around I should do a much better job soldering these things.

This is for a water supply line to my bathroom faucet.

thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
copper

Here, you would have to look for a very long time before you found a piece of type "L" copper in a residence. M has been the standard for several decades.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
My house was built in 1986 the pin holes happen often. Getting ready to repipe in pex. I would use L and only L and have gotten into a few arguments over it. I work with a few hacks.

Seaneys

Reaction score
If you are new to this, I sure as heck would get new fittings.. It can be a pain to get them cleaned up.

Steve

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
5 Minutes to clean solder out of a $0.50 fitting... Doesn't seem cost effective... Toss it in the scrap and make money!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are just two times I will mess with cleaning and reusing a fitting. If it means a 15 mile round trip to the store to buy one fitting or if it is a very expensive fitting. Other than that, it isn't worth the effort to clean 'em up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks