re-use a drain pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

mykle

Reaction score
Hi,

I need to move my toilet rough-in back to the 12" mark -- right now it's closer to 15". The drain pipe is cast-iron from 1928.

Everyone I've talked to has suggested using a snap-cutter to cut the pipe, then using some kind of boot to attach a new piece of cast iron or ABS plastic.

I'm wondering: since I'm just trying to shorten the drain pipe, is there any way i could just make two cuts with the snap cutter, to cut out 3" from the horizontal section, and then reconnect the two ends? I would need some kind of connector that's sure to seal properly.

Thanks for your advice,
-mykle-

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you are removing the floor for access and to replace and cut a new location, then sure, you can cut the cast iron with a snap cutter.

You would need shielded couplings to reinstall either the end section of cast, or you could splice in ABS or PVC for the 90 bend and flange.

proflex_33.jpg

If it's a lead bend, you should remove from the hub, and build it back out from the hub.
fernco_hub_4.jpg

Or you can move the bowl back 2" without touching the drain, by using an adapter like the one below.

unifit_choice.jpg

The Toto Unift adapter, meant for moving a bowl 2"
More information on which bowls they work with.

Last edited:

mykle

Reaction score
Thanks! I'll try it that way. We're tearing up the floor anyway, for tile.

I looked at the Unifit-compatible models, but they all still end up projecting too far into the room, at about 30". But the Toto Aquia II, at 27 1/2" with a 12" rough-in, will just barely fit without my bathroom drawers bumping into it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks