Re-routing sink DWR possible??

Users who are viewing this thread

dirtmcgirt79

Reaction score
Ok, so my wife and I are remodeling a small bathroom on the first floor. We were all set to install a recessed medicine cabinet, so I cut the hole.. Only to find the sink drain pipe from the 2nd floor bathroom vanity running down in the middle of the hole.. I should have figured that was gonna happen.

So anyway.. the pipe is running between 2 2x6 studs.. I have to frame out an opening in the framing anyway.. Is there any chance that i can re-route the drainage line? If I start up high enough in the wall, put in a 45degree elbow and run it out past the hole, then down, and back over so that it'll line up with the 1st floor drain?? This is PVC pipe..

Or should I abandon this project and just hang a mirror instead?

dirtmcgirt79

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Taylor.

I took a few pics at what I'm up against.. I guess the question is, can it be offset this much??

Attachments

• IMG_7566.JPG
    IMG_7566.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 464
  • IMG_7567.JPG
    IMG_7567.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 480
  • IMG_7568.JPG
    IMG_7568.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 468

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

He said it is the drain from the upstairs sink, and since it is 2", that is probably the case. I am not sure how the lavatory is connected, but if it is into that 2" riser it would be improper under most codes. He can offset it as much as he has to, as long as he does it correctly, using 45's.

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
The pipe says it is 1.5", so it may be just a dry vent. Go upstairs and turn on the sink and see if you hear water running down that pipe.

I have a similar situation where they wet vented the basement sink through the drain of a pair of lavs on the 2nd floor. I am fixing this along with properly venting the shower and washer connections by running a new vent to the roof (pain, but the only way to do it right in my case).

It might also be helpful to stick the camera in the wall and get a pic of how the plumbing joins together.

Kent

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks