Re-routing plumbing in kitchen remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

Patskitchen

Reaction score
Planning a kitchen remodel that includes bumping out an exterior wall. House is slab on grade, Dallas Tx. I knew about the 2" drain on the right, but was surprised to find the 3" drain on the left- the pipes are identified in red on the drawing below. The 2" drain currently serves the kitchen sink, the 3" drain an upstairs bath- tub, toilet, and 2 sinks.

Given the surprise pipe, I'd like to reverse the plan- put the sink on the left and the stove on the right. I would also like to abandon the 2" line and tie into the 3" line for the kitchen sink drain. I would have the 3" line ran (above slab) back to the wall on the left, then tie into the pipe in the wall. Obviously I would have to move the cabinetry, and exterior wall, to the right so the pipe comes up under the cabinets. Can this be done?

I'm trying to avoid jack hammering the slab up, and the two lines are too close together to incorporate both. The footprint is limited to the area drawn as it's going into an existing roofed patio area.

plan with 2 pipes.jpg

current layout.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You can't just "tie the sink into the 3" stack". There is more to it than that, and offsetting the 3" above the floor would require the cabinet bottom to be about 10" above the concete. (You will also need some revisions in the ceiling to offset the pipe into the wall which will require the loss of some headroom.) Your present idea is flawed and will need some revisions. Have you also given consideration to the fact that the patio area probably does not have a foundation and footing around its perimeter, and if not, that area can "move' independently of the house itself?

Last edited:

Patskitchen

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The 3" pipe is not the vent, the vent runs up at a different location, if that makes a difference. And venting the kitchen sink separately is no problem as the addition will be one story. The drain does not drop down directly from that point. It runs horizontally through the floor joists to get to where it drops down the wall. More destruction would be needed to determine if dropping it down the wall where I want to will be an issue, but if the kitchen sink cannot tie into this 3" drain then there is no reason pursue that question.

The patio does not currently have any concrete. It was all removed for the construction of a pool and new paver patio. An appropriate slab would be poured along with appropriate framing for the addition. There is not a second story over this area, and it is on the side of the house away from the pool. This bath is the only water to the second story.

In order to run the pipe back to the wall I would space two cabinets leaving a gap for the pipe. With the counter top run over the top and a filler cabinet piece on the front it should blend fine and give me 34" of height to work with.

What additional information do you need to help me determine if this drain can be used to drain the kitchen sink?

JamesAvery

James Avery
Reaction score
Planning a kitchen remodel that includes bumping out an exterior wall. House is slab on grade, Dallas Tx. I knew about the 2" drain on the right, but was surprised to find the 3" drain on the left- the pipes are identified in red on the drawing below. The 2" drain currently serves the kitchen sink, the 3" drain an upstairs bath- tub, toilet, and 2 sinks.

Given the surprise pipe, I'd like to reverse the plan- put the sink on the left and the stove on the right. I would also like to abandon the 2" line and tie into the 3" line for the kitchen sink drain. I would have the 3" line ran (above slab) back to the wall on the left, then tie into the pipe in the wall. Obviously I would have to move the cabinetry, and exterior wall, to the right so the pipe comes up under the cabinets. Can this be done?

I'm trying to avoid jack hammering the slab up, and the two lines are too close together to incorporate both. The footprint is limited to the area drawn as it's going into an existing roofed patio area.

View attachment 20091

View attachment 20092

Hey if you are confused of your kitchen remodeling plan then you can view this site as it can help you to make your kitchen of your dream and I can tell you surely about this because I have recently done my kitchen remodeling from here and believe me my kitchen is now a must watch so think about it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks