Re-route of back-to-back toilets to new sewer hook-up

Users who are viewing this thread

MikeB63

Reaction score
I am new to this forum and need some help. I live in CT and recently had a new sewer line installed. Due to pitch issues I could not connect to the existing CI pipe to the septic tanks. So now I need to re-route through my finished basement and downstairs kitchen. My house is 50 yrs old and the plumbing is completely copper. The bathrooms upstairs are back-to-back and have back-to-back toilets. There is very limited space and height is an issue. The toilets are connected horizontally with a double TY (see pictures). I know this is no longer allowed and since I have to re-route, I am attempting to design this code and need some comment on what I believe is the solution (see sketch). My thoughts are to connect the toilets with a double wye & 1/8 bend combination and have this feed into another double wye & 1/8 bend combination to pick-up the tub/shower/and sinks. I'm not sure how to maintain the pitch on both sides given the short distance. The toilet side should be fairly easy in that it is all new, but the other side will need to drop about a half inch over maybe 5-6" to enter the branch of the second double wye. Can anyone comment on my proposed layout as per adherence to code and connecting the fittings with pitch? The line to the sewer connection will be approximately over the light in the picture.

IMG_1770.JPG
IMG_1772.JPG

IMG_0716.JPG
IMG_0717.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeB63

Reaction score
HJ, thank you for your reply. I was beginning to think I wouldn't get one. I assume shielded no-hub connectors would be the ones to use? Also, do you think the concept is acceptable? I'm really struggling with the different elevations and making the connections in a short span. I will be visiting the local box store to physically rotate fittings to see how they react. Unfortunately they won't have a double wye.

mission_bandseal.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you cut in sooner, you may be able to use two single wyes for the other portion. I'm not a big fan of double wyes on the horizontal.
I like to have some angle on my connections.
I notice you do have more room to cut things in if you cut in lower.
When picking up a sink from above, that should be a wye or combo fitting on it's back. A santee doesn't guide the waste down the line.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks