Re-plumbing house, runl Pex through joist or under the joists?

Users who are viewing this thread

Pitterpat

HandyWOMAN
Reaction score
I bought a house 1 1/2 yrs ago that was built in 1956 so you know it has galvanized pipe for the water supply. I want to replace all of the plumbing pipes and am planning on using Pex and a manifold. Currently, the basement where the water supply enters the basement has an open ceiling and the water pipes hang under the joists. Is there any reason that I could not run the Pex through the joists when going across the joists and run them up in the joists when running them parallel to the joists? Yes, I will rent a right angle saw to drill the holes in the joists and I know there is a formula for where I should drill the joists; also I think the joists are 2 x 8's' the house has 1 full bath, 1/2 bath and kitchen and lines for washer in the basement and 2 outside spigots. I would like to add and laundry sink in the basement.

Thanks! Pat

Pitterpat

HandyWOMAN
Reaction score
Thanks!

Another question:
As I stated I want to put the pipes up through and between the joists; the main pipe from the well tank goes under the joists because when the house was built the fashioned a cold air return using 2 joists and putting sheet metal on the bottom to box it in. Don't know if that was the process back then but that is what they did here. I would like to run the pex through this "made up" cold air return to get that pex up....was thinking about it all day and what I came up with was to drill a hole on both sides and put a length of PVC that will span both sides of this cold air return, then run the pex through the PVC. To seal around the PVC I would caulk it or put the aluminum tape around it to the joist.

I know this isn't a standard practice today but I don't think I can hurt the cold air return....when they put the sheet metal on the bottom all they did was nail it up there w/o putting any kind of tape on the seam; so what I do can't make it anymore leaky (air).

Concerns, questions.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks