Re-piping my house with copper (layout and sizing)

Users who are viewing this thread

nola000

Reaction score
Does this look like a good idea?

Plumbing Repipe.jpg

Hairyhosebib

Reaction score
I would keep the hot water line at 3/4 inch. When you pipe the hot water to the far right tub I would add a 3/8 copper line and return it back to the bottom of the water heater. This is called a HYDRAULIC LOOP. If it is all on the same floor you might need a circulating pump to pump it back to the bottom of the water heater. Remove the crappy plastic hose bib and install a nipple, a tee, a check valve, a union and a valve. It could be 3/4 inch too. This line should be metal and insulated as well. You can re install the crappy plastic hose bib if you want but I install a full port 3/4 inch ball valve with a hose thread adapter on it. You will get hot water very quickly doing this. If the water heater is in a basement then the natural flow of hot water rising will force cooler water down to the water heater without a circulating pump.

If you are using a brand new water heater that you purchased from a store like Home Depot, return it and get one from a good plumbing supply house. I purchased a GE brand from HD, it did not last 6 months. Two holes formed in the tank. COMPLETE CRAP!!

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A "gravity circulation" system will ONLY work, if the hot water line slopes continuously upward to the far end, and then the "circulation" part is below it and slopes continually downward back to the water heater. ANY "jog" upward or downward to cross beams, etc., will negate the effect and it will NOT work. The 1/2" hot line will work, UNTIL two persons want to use the hot water at the same time. The lateral lines to the faucets off the main line only have to be 1/2".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks