Re-gluing a coupler

Users who are viewing this thread

mnRemodeler

Reaction score
I have a situation where I can't cut out the PVC pipe and install a coupler in a section of the pipe that is free from any primer or old glue. The pipe comes out of a trap and there is 2 inches before the first coupler.

This is in a shower drain application.

If I were to split the old coupler on each side and use a heat gun to soften the glue and pull the old coupler off of the pvc pipe I'd be left with pipe that has old glue and primer on it. But I'd have enough length to install a new coupler.

What I am wondering is if I re-prime it and put on plenty of glue if the new coupler will hold without leaking? This is a situation that will cost me thousands of dollars later if it leaks.

Please let me know if you have personal experience gluing couplers to pipe that has old primer and glue and if it held and more importantly if you've ever had one fail. Please also mention in you're reply if you're a professional plumber.

Reach4

Reaction score
I suggest that you post a photo, up to 800 pixels. Also identify pipe sizes.

RamBit is the opposite of what you are asking about, but it still might fit your need if circumstances were right.

Not a pro. Never even seen a RamBit in person.

Last edited:

mnRemodeler

Reaction score
Its 2 inch as required for a drain.

Attachments

• pvc.jpg
    pvc.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 518

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It looks like there have been MANY "bad joints" so I would cut the whole mess out and start over. Besides, you need room to spread the pipes apart to get any new coupling into the line.

mnRemodeler

Reaction score
I slit the bottom coupler for its entire length but not all the way through as I didn't want to risk scoring the PVC pipe. I then heated it with a heat gun and peeled it off (finishing the cut) the stub. So I got all that mess removed. I used some emory cloth to clean up the PVC pipe. I double primed to soften any old glue and I glued on a new slip coupler using the heavy duty PVC cement. I didn't use a DWV coupler because the full slip coupler being longer gave a lot more room for the chemical bond. Worked out well and I'm confident it won't leak. I added a support strap at the trap to hold it in place when I pushed down to glue in the new drain.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know how you "heated the glue" since technically PVC is not glued at all. The so-called glue is actually a solvent that liquifies the surfaces of the pipe and fitting. The two surfaces blend together and form a solvent weld. Not saying what you did did not work, but I'm not sure how trustworthy the joint is.

DaveHo

Reaction score
I've never seen black PVC cement. Who ever created that mess in the first place didn't use the proper product which is why you were able to heat it & peal the connector off.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe us was ABS solvent. Many novices don't understand ABS and PVC are chemically different and require their own solvent. Compounding the problem is the fact that they don't understand that these are not glued together in the way we usually thing of glue.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks