Re-glazing shower pan

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by jolenekae, May 30, 2007.

1. jolenekae

jolenekae New Member

My husband and I just wrote the last check on our main bathroom remodel, needless to say we are planning on doing the 3/4 bath ourselves. I am pretty handy so I feel comfortable tackling the projec but...we are having difficulty deciding on the best route with the shower pan.

1. We could re-glaze the pan ourselves, it is only 34"X36" (non-standard of course) but I am not sure how well the Do It Yourself kits work? Opinions? We would be gutting the bathroom leaving this one item.

2. We could replace it, being non-standard it will need to be custom ordered and I have heard estimates of close to $500...not including install. If we decide to replace it we will hire someone for that item.

Overall opinions or suggestions? We are trying to keep costs down but spend where it will count.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The materials to build a great shower pan that size cost less than $100...a fair amount less. Have you ever played with wet beach sand? You can build your own...it only looks hard if you have any skill.

Check out www.johnbridge.com and build your own shower...you'll be happier. Fixing an old pan is almost never a good idea.