Re-circulation into side connection

Users who are viewing this thread

yidmbxks

Reaction score
I'm looking at a Rheem PRO+G75-76N RH that has side connections for space heater applications. Is it possible to route a hot water re-circulation return into the space heater return port instead of the drain valve?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think that should work properly, but I've not seen one of these, and the manual really doesn't address it.

yidmbxks

Reaction score
I don't have any particular reason for doing it that way, but after looking through the manual I came to the same conclusion. I was wondering if these side connections are new or if anyone has experience using them.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some people use their WH as a radiant heating source. Personally, I would not use it as both potable hot water supply and heating, but that's me. Some tanks use an in-tank heat exchanger, but this one does not (although you could use an external one to keep the potable water from the potential of being contaminated in the heating loop). Anyway, it appears that the side ports are just alternatives to those on the top of the tank, and could be used simultaneously.

One of the pros that deals with them may confirm, or a simple call to the manufacturer might be prudent.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Some heaters have a "heat exchanger" that those ports are connected to because heating systems seldom run a "city pressure" and the oxygenated water is detrimental to them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks