Raw sewage smell at work only at certain times??

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Denise530, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Denise530

Denise530 New Member

for the last 6 months or so we have had this raw sewage smell in the office at work, for some reason it only starts to smell after we have been there for a few hours. when we first come on its fine no odor.
    but by 10.00 am its awful today people were vomiting, nausea, sore throat ,headaches, dizzy. my employer is doing nothing to remedy the problem and we need to know is this dangerous, should we even be breathing this stuff in??? help
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

There is no way that we can guess where your smell is coming from, or even if it is sewer gas at all.

If I had to be there, the first thing I would do is pour a bucket of water in any existing floor drains.
    It is pretty common for the trap of a floor drain to dry out, and then the sewer gas has nothing to stop it from coming into the building.
  3. Denise530

Denise530 New Member

We ran water everywhere that doesn't seems to be the
    Problem and it is a sewage smell our heating guy was in the
    Other day and even said it was a sewage smell
  4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Look for a connection from an air handler condensate drain, to a drain line. Also check for proper combustion air supply if you have a gas furnace. Did the heating guy measure CO, CO2 etc.
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Running water in the sinks is not the same as taking a cup, filling it up at the sink, and then finding the floor drains and pouring the water in them.
    Whenever we plumbers "have" to work in offices, it's what we do. I don't understand why office workers put up with the smell of floor drains that have dried out.
  6. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

Also look for floor drains that might be under carpet had this same problem in a converted warehouse to offices.