Rattling Water Heater

Users who are viewing this thread

darmstro

Reaction score
Oh Great Plumbing Sages:

My mom's water heater has developed a rattle. The rattle appears to be coming from the hot water outlet. Of course, it only makes this noise when water is flowing. The water heater is plumbed with galvanized pipe and there are two unions just above the hot water outlet. Could one of these unions be making the noise? Help, please!

Don

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Some few years ago, they were using ball-check type heat trap nipples. They had a habit of making a clicking noise. Maybe just replaceing the nipple will fix it.

darmstro

Reaction score
OK, once the heat trap ball bearing pops out, what do I do with it? Should it be replaced? What in the world is a "heat trap ball bearing"? Never heard of such a thing. Thanks!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Once it pops out toss it over your shoulder for good luck and hook the water heater back up without it!:D

The ball is what was rattling! Heat Traps are used to stop convection loss... Not a big deal to worry about.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks