Random question about threads IPS and NPT threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Claudio Havok

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm sorry of this isn't entirely relevant, but I'm a bit stuck on a project.

I'm in the process of building an articulating desk lamp much like the one below. I'm at a loss with the variations of threads.

s-l1600.jpg

I'm confident (maybe) the main runs of the lamp are "lamp pipe" which is 1/8" IPS or 3/8" Diameter. The joints appear to be inter-connected yoke ends. The first joint looks to utilize some type of adapter going from NPT to IPS, but I can't seem to figure the others out.

I ordered a yoke end with a 3/8-24" tap thinking it would fit the lamp pipe. No love. Its the right diameter, but the lamp pipe isn't tapered obviously. So I'm wondering what my best option is...should I try to rethread the lamp pipe or the yoke end? Do they sell NPT iron pipe that small?

Thanks, and again sorry if this isn't the appropriate forum!

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Lamp rods are not tapered so IPS or NPT does not come into play here.

Attachments

• lamp rod.jpg
    lamp rod.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 248

jab66

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm sorry of this isn't entirely relevant, but I'm a bit stuck on a project.

I'm in the process of building an articulating desk lamp much like the one below. I'm at a loss with the variations of threads.

s-l1600.jpg

I'm confident (maybe) the main runs of the lamp are "lamp pipe" which is 1/8" IPS or 3/8" Diameter. The joints appear to be inter-connected yoke ends. The first joint looks to utilize some type of adapter going from NPT to IPS, but I can't seem to figure the others out.

I ordered a yoke end with a 3/8-24" tap thinking it would fit the lamp pipe. No love. Its the right diameter, but the lamp pipe isn't tapered obviously. So I'm wondering what my best option is...should I try to rethread the lamp pipe or the yoke end? Do they sell NPT iron pipe that small?

Thanks, and again sorry if this isn't the appropriate forum!

jab66

Reaction score
Hello, I am working on the same project and was wondering if you ever figured it out? If so could you share some of your insight? I am thinking of using 3/8 black pipe with a yoke end but of course the threads do not match up. I am wondering if the only solution is to drill and tap the yoke end to match the pipe threads - is there an easier method- Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks