random flushing toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

jlanphier

Carpentry
Reaction score
I have two older toilets and a brand new one in the basement in an older house. i have replaced the valves on the older toilets because they were constantly running. They no longer run but what i have come across is that they tend to flush all by themselves; not all the way but partially. The valves are a newer water conserving type that have a "power flush" tube that runs along the bottom of the tank to keep debris from building up. The house is a rental and the renters say that they will just flush randomly and often 8-10 times a day.
1. Is it a water pressure problem, did turn off the water a couple times while replacing the basement toilet and shutoff valve.
2. is it just a too sensitive valve and releases on its own
3. any other suggestions thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally, that means the flappers are losing water in the tank, and the tank is refilling.
You can put a little food coloring in the tank, and see if it winds up in the bowl.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks