Ran a Gyro Survey today

Users who are viewing this thread

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ran a gyro survey on a new city well today. 12" casing to 675 ft. 8" sand packed screen and riser from 675 to 764. They just finished the pump house, installed a 150 hp lineshaft turbine. Ran less than 24 hours before developing a vibration.

Well was 9 1/2 feet out of plumb and corkscrewed to the right.

Oh, and it also produces sand. No holes in the casing or screen.

Next step is probably to install a 6" 60 hp sub test pump and pump it with the video camera in the well to identify the sand producing zone.

And no, I didn't drill it or install the pump.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Isn't it amazing how flexible pipe is?

6 yrs ago I did well testing for a gas transmission company, they were putting in 1/2" wall, 16" pipe. Welded together that stuff was incredibly flexible.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Ran a gyro survey on a new city well today. 12" casing to 675 ft. 8" sand packed screen and riser from 675 to 764. They just finished the pump house, installed a 150 hp lineshaft turbine. Ran less than 24 hours before developing a vibration.

Well was 9 1/2 feet out of plumb and corkscrewed to the right.

Oh, and it also produces sand. No holes in the casing or screen.

Next step is probably to install a 6" 60 hp sub test pump and pump it with the video camera in the well to identify the sand producing zone.

And no, I didn't drill it or install the pump.

A lineshaft turbine is not going to stay in a well that crooked. A sub is the only possibility. Even then you might rub the wire. Good luck.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Line shaft turbine pumps is one of the things I have never had to mess with. What is the advantage of going with the LST over a regular submersible? Seems like a 150 HP sub would do a good job and you wouldn't have to mess with the shaft problems of LST.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Line shaft turbines have many advantages. They usually use larger diameter impellers so they are more efficient. The above ground motor is larger in diameter and also more efficient. You lose a little HP for each section of shaft and bearing, but not much. Most turbines usually spin at 1750 rpm compared to a sub at 3450 RPM. According to Grundfos' engineering manual, "doubling the rpm of a pump will quadruple the wear rate of a pump". Of course they don't mention this when trying to sell you a 10,600 rpm SQ type pump.

Over the years I have found that a 1750 RPM turbine will last much longer in a sandy well than a 3450 RPM sub. But with well construction done the way it is today, sand is much less of a problem. So the only real benefit of a turbine is a little extra efficiency.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks